Filling Hydraulic fluid in power trim

Old 10-09-04, 11:25 AM
kydrock
Visiting Guest
Filling Hydraulic fluid in power trim

I busted a fitting on the top of the lift piston and was wondering if anyone could tell me how to fill it. should the boat be level when i do? I see one bolt on the side of the piston is this where i fill it ? Do i have to use a squeeze tube or something like it to get the fluid in it because the trim locked up and wont release from the motor. I am hoping it is just because it is low on fluid. It shot out about 1/2 pint of fluid before i noticed. I can lift the motor with the trim still stuck to it and see and work on the inner wall of the housing but i just dont know how or where to fill it ? please help

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-04, 04:10 AM
parothd
Visiting Guest
Not sure what kind of system you are working on but all of them I have dealt with have a reservoir at the pump. The pump is typically at the transom someplace an can be found by following the sound when you run the trim.

Typically you can refill the reservoir and run the trim up and down using the trim switch to bleed off the air. In some cases you might need to bleed the system at the hose by loosening it and running the trim, but be very careful with this as this is very high pressure. It can not only make a mess it can be dangerous.

I suggest filling the reservoir and just running the trim switch up and then down, holding it in each direction for about 15 seconds. After you do this 3 or 4 times top off the fluid again and repeat. That will usually get you back in operation as long as there are no other issues.

Good luck,
Terry