Mercruiser 470, 490

Old 11-14-04, 10:50 PM
csuccess
Visiting Guest
Mercruiser 470, 490

I am looking for a Mercruiser 470 or 490 (4cylinder engine). I would like to rebuild it. Does anybody have one cheap that needs work? I am in Alabama.

Calvin Lasley
334-201-9806
[email protected]

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-04, 11:47 PM
omcparts
Visiting Guest
Calvin why not go to a V-6 from the wreckers instead. Yours is only made by mercruiser and parts are big bucks for any thing for a 470 vers a GM or Ford V-6. Maybe look up mercruiser stern drive conversions on a seach engine to get more info. Hope this helps Wayne

PS dont worry about gear ratio,s just go 2 pitch larger on the prop to make up for hp.

Old 11-30-04, 09:40 AM
Shiprekd
Visiting Guest
With close to 20 years being around Mercruisers, my advice would be to find a decent core some place. Even ebay has some good deals if you make sure the seller is reputable.

BE EXTREMELY careful with prop changes to crutch a gear ratio mis-match. Stress on possibly a(n) already weak drive could detonate it and in the very least, spin a few prop hubs. Re-powering with any motor that has more horsepower and torque can and will invariably cause a mechanical problem with anything that is weak. Just the gear ratio mis-match alone can cause planing, speed, rpm, and handling problems.

Find a core through ebay, or a boat yard.