Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Painting an aluminum jon boat

Visiting Guest

11-28-04, 07:54 PM   #1  
Lampos
Painting an aluminum jon boat

I recently purchased a 14 foot aluminum flat bottom jon boat. The boat is a little old (70's model), but it doesn't leak a drop and is in great condition. The boat has some old teal colored paint on it that is worn off in many places where you can see the bare aluminum. I want to paint this boat a dark green or possibly camouflage color. Can anyone give me some advice for a good looking/long lasting paint job? Thanks!!

Denver Mitchell

Sponsored Links

11-29-04, 03:56 AM   #2  
What Paint To Use

go to west marine and purchase eazy-pox. it is a one part urethane paint and i have used it on alum and fiberglass. once you paint it it appears to be sprayed on. use a high density roller available from home depot.

MO

11-29-04, 09:56 AM   #3  
Might also try http://www.defender.com see what they have in paints there.

ED

Super Moderator

CANADA

11-29-04, 10:17 AM   #4  
My experience

with painting aluminum is that more important than the paint, is to use the proper prep techniques.
You must follow the paint makers recommendations.
If you have a finish that is a bit ratty but is holding well, do not remove it as it will be well bonded and will likely be a good bond for a new finish.

Also, a sightly flat finish makes any imperfections less noticable.

GregH.........HVAC/R Tech

Visiting Guest

11-30-04, 07:49 AM   #5  
Lampos
Thanks for the tips

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Visiting Guest

01-01-05, 02:37 PM   #6  
feisty
Camo paint for jon boat

I recently did a nice camo paint job on a jon boat. Other responses are correct on useing correct preparation and paint for a good bond for the base. If you are interested in camo for hunting, stay pretty flat with paint. I cut some patterns of different types of leaves and marsh grasses, then painted over the boat with these pattens as I felt looked right, then switched to different patterns and colors. Worked out real nice and is easy to touch up as well

Search this Thread