Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Boat Drags in Water

Visiting Guest

12-01-04, 03:21 PM   #1  
royroger
Boat Drags in Water

I have a 2001 16' aluminum flat boat with a 52" bottom. It has a 2001 50HP Johnson with trim and tilt. If I tilt the boat up to far, it begins to porpoise. It seems that there is to much of the boat in the water. At WOT, I am turning 5700 RPM (that is about what is recommended) with a Stainless Prop. Usually just me, gas tank, two batteries, trolling motor and gear in the boat. Goes approximately 36 MPH.

Problem is that when trimmed as far as I can get it with out porpoising, there is still about 8' -10' of the boat still in the water. Should there be less in the water and would this increase my speed a little.

I have heard of something called "transom wedges". Anyone ever hear of these and think they would help?

I am in South Louisiana......

Sponsored Links

MO

12-02-04, 12:31 PM   #2  
I dont think Id try and get a 16' flat bottom john boat up on plain with a 50 hr power motor

I have heard of something called "transom wedges". Anyone ever hear of these and think they would help?
Not sure what you mean here. But when we try for speed on a small runabout or what every. That have a 15" or 20" transom.You put a small wedge on each side and tap them in to raise the motor some.You can do this till you have cavitation on a flat out run. Then drop it back down about a !/8" or 1/4" .Now this dont work to ski or come out of the hole fast Its only for a long run. Could this be what they talked about??????? If you want fast get a dragboat

ED

Visiting Guest

12-05-04, 07:02 PM   #3  
gwarr
Why don't you try putting all the weight (battery, gas tanks)in the front of the boat. I has a 17 ft with a 10 hp on it, and it would go about 10 mph with just me in it. However it went about 20 with someone in the front. There are also automatic trim tabs that should help the porposing.

12-14-04, 04:42 PM   #4  
Posted By: royroger I have a 2001 16' aluminum flat boat with a 52" bottom. It has a 2001 50HP Johnson with trim and tilt.
I don't know what your expecting there but 36MPH with a 50HP on a 16 ft boat ain't bad. Maybe you could use a little more motor but how fast can you expect out of a 16ft boat?

12-16-04, 07:52 AM   #5  
50 Hp

I agree. 50 MPH is pretty good out af a flat bottom aluminum boat. I'm not sure I would want to push it much more. You might get a little more balancing the weight out some. When I had a smaller fishing boat, I used to put the battery up front to offset the weight a little.

Search this Thread