Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Water in lower unit

Visiting Guest

12-24-04, 01:57 PM   #1  
feisty
Water in lower unit

I have a 25 HP Johnson that keeps getting water in the lower unit, however there is no apparent leak of lubricant. Any ideas where the water is coming from?

Sponsored Links

MO

12-24-04, 02:00 PM   #2  
From the past Id bet on the shaft seal to the prop All the time.

ED

Visiting Guest

12-24-04, 02:03 PM   #3  
feisty
[QUOTE=Ed Imeduc]From the past Id bet on the shaft seal to the prop All the time.

ED [/QUOTE

Thanks, Wouldn't I be leaking some lubricant from the seal?

MO

12-24-04, 03:23 PM   #4  
Dont know why but it dont You might want to check the prop shaft also Fish line gets in on it and can cut down in the shaft sometimes also

ED

Visiting Guest

12-24-04, 05:12 PM   #5  
feisty
Thanks I'll check it. I have usually found fishing line in the ones I've had to replace

Visiting Guest

12-26-04, 04:55 PM   #6  
Leon Phelps
physics...

As we know, seals can leak from both pressure and from vacuum. Chances are, when warm, the seals work fine under pressure. After cooling, vacuum is created, and then water is sucked in the seal. This is why no oil is seen on the water around the outboard.

If you have anything close to a 1970 Johnson, e-mail me and I can send a 20 hp Johnson manual for you to look at. Most are similar, for you to compare and use for reference.

Search this Thread