Marine Fiberglass Help Needed

Old 02-16-05, 08:15 AM
Tommygun
Visiting Guest
Marine Fiberglass Help Needed

Hello all, I recently found I have wet spots in my transom on a 23' I/O. It appears to be around the trim tab areas. I sawed out 2 access panels in the floor of the rear bilge to gain access to the base of the transom. I plan to open the tab mounting holes (which were previously concealed by the floor from the inside, I plan to through bolt them) and allow to dry out, then inject acetone and git-rot. How can I properly reseal the holes in the transom that are no longer needed? I've heard a dowel and marine tex, but lately people have said this is incorrect. Can I then sand the epoxy/marine tex along with the gel on the outside, and just repaint with an epoxy paint instead of gelcoat? If you throughbolt anything through the transom, do you just put 3M 5200 on the bolt, and it's sealed? Also, the floor was fiberglass encapsulated, and cutting it breaks that seal. Do I just fiberglass the seams of the new panels? I also accidently cut about an inch into a hidden stringer- how can I repair that? I apoligize for such a long post, but I'm pretty much on my own with this one- and lost. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-05, 12:47 PM
Wink

I think you have it . Oh the things that are done with 5200 and they work.
On the stringer??? You mean a saw blade cut?? Id get a wood piece that fits it put it in with some epoxy sand it down and glass in some cloth over it to back it.
Yes seal all open wood.
Check out the West system and for sure as we dont know what the boat is made of. Be sure and use only epoxy resin for all the work . Also epoxy paint on the plugs.
Might look at http://www.defender.com for stuff
If you post back stay in this same post ===== have a good one

ED

Search this Thread