jon boat transom repair

Old 02-27-05, 04:40 PM
jon boat transom repair

I inherited a very old (age??) 16 ft jon boat several years ago. The top side of the transom is cracked about 1 inch long on either side of where the outboard (9.9 hp) mounts. Also the wood mounted on the inboard face of the transom is rotted out as well. I was thinking of replacing the wood and getting a new large peice of aluminum and forming it to fit over the original transom and the new wood and then securing in place to provide reinforcement. A couple of questions? 1. Should I have the small cracks welded first. There is plenty of room to the outboard side of each crack to provide several inches of overlap of the new aluminum and theoretically shifting the stress points outboard beyond the cracks. 2. If I repair as such would bolting it be okay or should I rivet. And if rivets, would pull rivets work or should they be solid. Thanks for any advice. Marty

Last edited by martyo; 02-27-05 at 04:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-05, 12:39 PM
Wink

I was thinking of replacing the wood and getting a new large peice of aluminum and forming it to fit over the original transom and the new wood and then securing in place to provide reinforcement.
Sounds good, you dont say 15" or 20" transom. but I would have the aluminum 1/8" or better and bend in a U to go over the transom all the way across or form side to sideas far as you can. Also go as low with it as the motor bracket is. Id forget the small welds. If the rivets are any that are down below the water line Id go for a soild rivet. Up around the top the pull or pop rivets are ok.

ED

Old 02-28-05, 05:34 PM
Thanks. 15" transom. I'll definitely go as low as the motor bracket and may as well use solid rivets all the way through. If I break out the compressor and start bucking rivets, may as well do them all. Marty

Old 02-28-05, 06:13 PM
Wink

Had a boat like that for a time the kids just played with it had a 15 Hp on it. I got tired of working on the rivets. So I just started using that gutter caulk stuff on them and it worked good most of the time.

ED