Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

New to boats, problem with Trim Please help

Visiting Guest

03-20-05, 03:37 PM   #1  
goob982
New to boats, problem with Trim Please help

Here is the deal. I have a 1987 Bayliner with a Volvo Penta I/O AQ131A. The only problem I am having is the trim is not working. I have checked many different things and I am having problems figuring out the problem. The switch on the dash is not working, and I have put a meter to the connections and they are not getting any power at all. I have replaced the two relays in the Model 280 Duoprop tilt. Still no luck on figuring out the problem. I was told to test the motor if its working correct. I am not sure if I did this right. I unhooked the the red connection on the motor. Used a jumper wire to connect the positive term on my battery to the connection on the red wire to the motor. Still not nothing from the motor not even a sound. I am confused if I am doing my diag on the parts correctly. Should I try connecting both the positive and neg from the battery to the motor as well. I am guessing these parts are very expensive to purchase. But should I start trying to find a new tilt motor. Thank you very much for your time.

V/R

Jeff

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-26-05, 06:47 PM   #2  
Timsalways
me have same problem

Hey Jeff, Me have same problem with my old boat. It was an older omc I/O, I tapped or rather smacked it with a hammer, while engaging the switch, It would start spinning a little, so I took the motor off and apart, It was all wet and rusty inside, so I sanded everthing down and it seemed to work ok for a while, but I would have to give it a little smack now and then. Good Luck Timsalways

Visiting Guest

03-27-05, 06:58 PM   #3  
goob982
Update

Well, here is a little update. My knowledge of boats have been increasing by the day. The motor works, actually very well. I connected both terminals from the batt to the motor and its working. Good news. But the problem seems to be alittle more complicated then just that. While looking through the wires around the motor. I have noticed two thing. I have one inline fuse (30A) for the ignition system and one circuit breaker (not sure what for). I have blown the 30a many times now. What is strange is the power for the ignition is wired in the power for the tilt system. I am not sure if this is correct or not. I tried checking the connections for the tilt system. I have replaced the two relays with new ones. All the wires are connected correctly. The cut off swith on the top hasnt been replaced but I think its fine and couldnt really be the cause of the problem. The trim switch on the dash is not hot. I am not getting any power. Not sure what is causing the problem. I am having problems tracing this problem. Right by the starter their is a relay. I think its okay, looks fine, but Should I replace that. Does anyone know if that is just for ignition or is it part of the tilt system as well. I am sure I am missing stuff. Could anyone give me advance. (What is causing the lack of power in the circuit, Why do I keep blowing the 30A fuse, is it the right Amp..., mainly where should I start on the circuit for the tilt, and what would be your idea of the problem or advice.) Thank you very much for your time

V/R

Jeff

Visiting Guest

03-28-05, 07:09 PM   #4  
Timsalways
Woaa!!

Wow Jeff, you blew me out of the water with that one. Can you pick up a repair manual for that model. It seems something is crossed to blow that wire like that. Your guess is the relay, sounds possible, a little hard to diag. from here. Im sure that motor will power both ways. Good luck, Tim

Search this Thread