Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Merc Mark 10A Frozen

Visiting Guest

03-21-05, 01:02 AM   #1  
olesailor
Merc Mark 10A Frozen

I have a merc mark 10a 10hp outboard that was given to me.
I was told that the it needed the water pump replaced. It had the lower gear case removed. The rest of the engine looked ok. However when I tried to move the fly wheel it was frozen. Before I buy books. I was wondering if the water pump was replaced to late and the powerhead was over heated. Is there is anything I can do? Is the powerhead burnt or is it still in gear. I believe I set it in neutral, or is there something I missed. I explained this to a boat service department, and they used to term locked. But wouldn't explain unitl I bring it in $$$.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-21-05, 01:14 AM   #2  
olesailor
Something to add. I found on the oldmerc website about this engine.
These engines, while technically interesting, have an unusual transmission design that makes them complicated and challenging to service
That what I was thinking about it being in gear. That locked could of ment. I hope anyway.

MO

03-21-05, 07:40 AM   #3  
If the lower unit is off Cant see how it can be locked up. Pull the plugs and see if you can turn it by hand?

ED

Visiting Guest

03-21-05, 12:14 PM   #4  
olesailor
I have pulled the plugs and tried turning it, and also tried penetrating oil.
No luck.

03-25-05, 10:55 AM   #5  
Seized Merc

Some water and long time idle will allow cylinder wall rusting. Flood cylinders with diesel or penetrating oil and wait, a long wait. A friend into antique tractors has told me this works for him.

Search this Thread