Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Keeping a charge

Visiting Guest

03-30-05, 02:29 PM   #1  
houston1234
Keeping a charge

I am writing in regard to a 1991 360 Commodore. I am having an issue with the house batteries not keeping a charge. This is the 3rd set of batteries that I have purchased in the last 2 years. I have a feeling there is something draining the batteries. I used to be able to go a full 24 hours and run all kinds of 12V accessories on the boat with out ever having to run the generator to charge back up the batteries.

The main thing I am writing about is that since the generator starts off the house batteries, when the house batteries do get weak there isnít enough power to start the generator. In the past this has not been a problem since all I had to do was start the engines and they would provide enough charge to the batteries to start the generator and then I could shut off the motors. It seems now that the engines do not charge the batteries any longer. I looked at the manual for the boat and found a wiring diagram but nothing in there showed that the house batteries were somehow connected to the alternator on the engines. Can someone there tell me what I should be checking for in this model boat.

What is keeping the engines from keeping a charge on the house batteries? I have never had a problem with the starting batteries so I know that the alternator(s) are charging the starting batteries. Could it be that one alternator charges the house and the other the starting batteries?

Sponsored Links

MO

03-31-05, 09:05 AM   #2  
the house batteries not keeping a charge.
With everything off pull the + off them and just hit it to the +to see if you get a spark if so start and ring out all the stuff it goes to.
Also dont know what kind of set up you have as a spliter to charge the battries. But I had one that I took out. Though it was bad found out . When we fogged the engine room with WD-40 that that shorted it out cleaned it off and it worked great again. Salt air plays a lot on this also.
I dont know the boat but you should have control of what batteries get used for what in the electric panel there.

Aw the fun of having a boat.

ED

04-01-05, 11:42 AM   #3  
Battery discharge

Consider corrosion as indicated by the moderator:

1. At the alternator - the harness that has the plug into the alternator may have corrosion near that connection. I had an automotive problem where there was NO dischage light showing on the dash, but I could not keep a battery charged. I replaced one battery and one alternator before accidentally noticing a replacemint ($3) harness part in an automotive retail store. It was only about 4 inches long and had an alternator connector at the end. I cut off existing (red) wire back 3 inches from the alternator and soldered in the replacement ...and no further problem.

2. Perhaps at a junction or terminal end of this 'hot' wire. Corrosion occurred in the high voltage wire for high fan speed in the same vehicle, due to corrsion at a spade connector midway in the wire.

3. At the relay connections. This is a switch that acts as a "splitter' to direct simultaneous charge to both (or more) batteries, after engine startup.
Perhaps the relay itself, as referred to by the moderator.

4. A Seloc manual offers this: "ensure that both engine alternators of a twin installation are Not charging a battery simultaneously, since instead of having an improved system , this type of hook-up causes many serious electrical problems that are unexplainable."'

Clean connections?

Search this Thread