Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

B&S 5hp motor

04-14-05, 11:04 AM   #1  
B&S 5hp motor

I'm thinking about getting a briggs and stratton 5 hp out board motor want to use it in salt water I know it voids the warranty but if I clean it good after every use can I get a few years out of it?

Sponsored Links

MO

04-14-05, 02:41 PM   #2  
I think you would. Dont let it down in the water when your not running and flush it real good when your done.
Thats a new one on me I didnt know B&S made outboards. I know I have seen a lot of other outboards. In the salt water for the dingy.

ED

Group Moderator

NC

04-19-05, 01:07 PM   #3  
I'm surprised that anyone makes an outboard that can't be used in salt water... that's 2/3's of the planet. I went to the Briggs site and looked at the engine. It's air cooled, so I would think it would be a natural for salt water.

What benefit does the Briggs outboard have over other brands?

MO

04-20-05, 01:54 AM   #4  
This is on the B&S www.

SALT WATER OPERATION
The Briggs & Stratton Gasoline Outboard is designed for fresh water use. Operation in salt water will result in accumulation of corrosive deposits on exposed outboard parts.
To inhibit corrosion, take the following steps:

Do not leave the lower unit in salt water overnight.
After use, rinse the outboard thoroughly with fresh water and wipe dry.
Salt water is extremely corrosive even when these steps are followed. Failure of any component due to salt water corrosion is NOT covered under the Briggs & Stratton limited warranty.

ED

Search this Thread