Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Outboard Alternator to Deep Cycle Battery

Visiting Guest

05-11-05, 10:30 AM   #1  
gregmmurphy
Outboard Alternator to Deep Cycle Battery

I have a 12V deep cycle battery for use in my 23' sailboat. The outboard (a 6 hp Johnson) has a built in alternator for charging the battery when it is running. My question is, can the wires leading from the engine (which I can only assume come from the alternator) be connected directly to the battery terminals, or do I need some kind of limiter or something? If the battery has full charge and the alternator tries to charge it more, will this be a problem, or does the alternator have some such limiter on it already?
Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links

MO

05-11-05, 01:14 PM   #2  
Dont know the motor. Does it have a starter on it??? I had a 9.5 on one sail boat and it would charge the battery ok from the wire off it.,that also was the wire to start it.

ED

Visiting Guest

05-11-05, 02:08 PM   #3  
gregmmurphy
No, it's manual start

It's a manual start 6.0 hp Johnson sailmaster. This isn't my picture, but this is the identical engine http://smalloutboards.com/j6sail.htm .

The wires are only to recharge batteries. I can not find any reference of anything other than just hooking the wires to the battery, but something about it just seems odd to me. Maybe it's just me.

MO

05-11-05, 02:19 PM   #4  
If yours is the same . Read there it said that it has a full charging system in the motor.

ED Im a old ragman also

Visiting Guest

05-11-05, 02:28 PM   #5  
gregmmurphy
Yeah, but...

I know the motor has the charging system, I'm curious if this system can be directly (and continuously) connected to a battery. Or, do I either need to only hook it up when the battery is low (and monitor it while charging) or hook it up to the batter through some kind of monitor or limiter that will prevent the battery from over-charging?

I'm only worried about causing damage to the battery by continuously overcharging it when it may not need the to be recharged.

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

MO

05-11-05, 04:30 PM   #6  
Might call the O/B company and ask for a manual for it???

ED

05-11-05, 08:47 PM   #7  
Charging Battery

It seems the motor is a 1965 - 1970 Johnson.

If so according to the Seloc manual for this year and hp a generator kit was available for installation. The generator was standard with the 40hp Selectric engine.

The generator output is controlled by the voltage regulator. This is supposed to be "mounted in a junction box on the rear of the engine , and is connected between the generator and the battery to prevent overcharging of the battery while the engine is running".

It goes on to say that charging capacity is 10 amps and the engine should be running at least at 1500 rpm.

The junction box also contains a 4 or 20 amp fuse to protect the charging circuit.

Visiting Guest

05-12-05, 10:46 AM   #8  
gregmmurphy
I'll Look

Thanks a ton, OldJoe, that's exactly what I was trying to figure out. I'll check tonight to make sure that it has that.

Search this Thread