Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Boat not used for 18 mo. won't turn over

Visiting Guest

05-13-05, 08:30 AM   #1  
rpedigo
Boat not used for 18 mo. won't turn over

I have a 98 Larson with 5.0L Volvo Penta I/O that has been sitting for 18 mo. I took it in for service and was told that the starter was no good. Since the starter was replaced just before the last season that the boat was used, I am wondering if the engine may be seized up. The engine was not fogged prior to the 18 mo. storage. What should be done to troubleshoot this problem and if the engine is stuck what should be done to attempt to get it running again?

Sponsored Links

MO

05-13-05, 08:56 AM   #2  
I took it in for service and was told that the starter was no good. Since the starter was replaced just before the last season that the boat was used, I am wondering if the engine may be seized up.
If you had it in for service what did they say. You can pull all the plugs out and see if it turns over then

ED

Visiting Guest

05-13-05, 09:29 AM   #3  
rpedigo
re what they said

The mechanic there said he would have to replace the starter in order to go further with the job. This would add $250 to the cost and I just can't see how a basically new starter would go bad just sitting in storage.

MO

05-13-05, 11:10 AM   #4  
NOt there cant say it could be bad but? Did it turn over with the plugs out ???? Could take the starter to any auto parts store and have them check it out for you,

ED

Last edited by Ed Imeduc; 05-13-05 at 03:56 PM.

05-13-05, 03:52 PM   #5  
Will not crank..

Not likely to be seized due to rusting if all plugs were installed, and water could not otherwise enter, say thru the intake.

As the moderator suggests, take it home and turn it with a 1/2" power bar.
Start it and run it - your anxiety is likely going to cost you for service!

Clean all connections to ensure adequate contact, at battery, solenoid, relay.
Ground connections aswell, especially to the engine block.

Search this Thread