Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Boat Hull appearance

05-13-05, 04:19 PM   #1  
Boat Hull appearance

My fiberglass boat is 19 yrs old and used only on lakes (fresh water). The hull has blue sides with white below the waterline and white on the deck. The blue about 1/2 way up has a white hazy appearance that I have not found a permanent correction for. This will not wash off or wax out.

I can wet it down with something oily or even water and the color comes back for a short time. Wax doesn't work. I thought it might be calcium reside from the hard lake water but automotive mineral film (spot) remover has no effect. I can make it look very nice short term by wiping down with acrylic floor wax or wipe on polyeurothane varnish. That doesn't last long and is obviously not the solution.

I've seen older cars with this same appearance and I'm pretty much convinced that the paint may be dead. I really don't want to repaint the hull unless that is the only solution. I absolutely don't want to pay someone big $$$ to paint it for me.

Any ideas for a fix or how to repaint it yourself (and look good)??

Sponsored Links

MO

05-13-05, 04:34 PM   #2  
Might try and go to http://www.defender.com
They have a Buff Magic fiberglass reconditioner and deoxidizer. Or a lot of boats are going to a Awlgrip paint job.

ED

Visiting Guest

05-16-05, 11:02 AM   #3  
wonderinginnh
oxidized gelcoat on old boat

yes, the best stuff to use is 3M - get the rubbing compound (actually scuffs the gelcoat), followed by Finnesse It - II, takes out the swirl scuff marks and then, finally wax it with the best wax 3M - no I'm not a sales person, just use the best stuff. it is hard work - another good product is Meguire's flagship - go to Boater's World - best prices... another good forum for boaters is boatered.com good luck!

a boater in NH

Visiting Guest

06-12-05, 04:50 PM   #4  
Noel Johnson
hull restore

wonderinginnh is right on. 3M compound is the best stuff I've found after many years of trial and error. It has a very fluid consistency and is best poured into a smaller pail then brushed on with a chip brush. Only do about 2 to 3 square feet at a time. Invest in a good variable speed disc sander. I use a porter cable7" with a reversable buffing pad. Every few minutes, (you'll feel the build up) clean the pad with the end of the chip brush or a screw driver. I have an 18 year old 35' O'Day purcased last year. this past spring I spent a solid day buffing her out using the 3M compound and you'd swear she was a brand new boat! Well worth the effort! Good luck.'

07-12-05, 06:47 PM   #5  
Gelcoat Restore

Thanks for these tips!! I just passed the web address on to a boater this afternoon.

07-13-05, 11:10 PM   #6  
The advice you have gotten is good. Being that your boat is 19 years old, it is oxidation of the colored gelcoat that is causing your problems. I had a 1986 runabout that had red gelcoat. Gave me the same problems. Back then I was young and naive, and bought the boat because it looked great! Red and Blue are the worst colors, and you can apply a slow evaporating solvent such as kerosene or mineral spirits to make it look great..... Until you wash it. Such was my case. A week after I had the boat it looked like crap. You can buy acrylic compounds to apply, but the results are iffy and can mess it up. Your best bet is to use a HEAVY rubbing compound as Noel and Wonderingh have said. Awlgrip is great.... IF you can afford it. Once you have buffed the pesky oxidation off and gotten a nice polished blue, clear coat or wax the heck out of it. Yes, use the expensive stuff, and 3M is about the most expensive, but also just about the best.

Visiting Guest

07-14-05, 08:09 AM   #7  
txtaz
Yup, Everyone nailed it. 3M is the best. For heavy oxidation use Marine restorer and wax, for touch ups Marine cleaner and wax. A $15 orbital polisher from Wal Mart will make the job alot easier.

Search this Thread