Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Outboard won't run without choke engaged

Visiting Guest

05-17-05, 12:24 PM   #1  
mmk007
Outboard won't run without choke engaged

This year when I put my 1998 Johnson 8 hp outboard on my boat it started just as it always does by pulling out the choke and giving a healthy yank or two. However, after a minute or two of running when I disengage the choke, the engine stalls. I thought this might just be due to some of the fogger being left in the cylinders, so I put it in the water and took it out for a run. The fact is that it simply will not continue to run at any speed unless the choke is partly engaged. If I have it fully engaged, the engine chokes out (as expected) and if I am running at any speed and I push the choke all the way off, the engine stalls. With the choke pulled out (engaged) about 1/4 of the way the engine will continue to run at all speeds. I do not detect that the engine has any less power than it has in the past. I have hesitated to mess with the idle and high speed jets because the problem exists at all speeds. Any hints?

Sponsored Links

05-17-05, 02:21 PM   #2  
Time for a carb cleaning

Your problem is most likely due to stopped up carbs. I had the same problem on my 200 HP Evinrude. After changing plugs, fuel filter and lots of head scratching I took it into the shop. The problem was stopped up carbs and fuel jets. It is a common problem and I did notice you mentioned that you had fogged your engine before storage. That is supposed to eliminate this problem but it is not always the case.

Search this Thread