Taking on water

Old 05-21-05, 10:17 PM
Taking on water

Taking on water when the engine is running. I have a 1991 bayliner 1850 with 3.0L and merc alpha one gen 1. I am getting a lot of water from rear of engine only when running. probably 2 to 3 gallons a min. I can see water coming from around drive shaft and starter. seams like to much water to be a crack in block is there a freeze plug back there or a drain plug. I bought the boat last fall and this is the first time I have had it in the water.don't no where to start.Thanks for any help Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-05, 01:05 PM
Water Leak

Can be a freeze plug, they can rust out too.

Exhaust Manifold is water jacketed type? - could be cracked or not seated.

Old 05-24-05, 07:36 PM
Well I tool a better look at her tonight.Hooked up the hose and started her up and the water started to flow. So now I am positive the water is coming out of the engine. I took a real close look and there is no water coming from exhaust manifold or the sides of the engine. The water almost has to be coming from behind the fly wheel. Does anyone now if there is a freeze plug behind the fly wheel. If not it must be a crack I hope that's not the case but with my luck it's cracked. So far every thing I have had to on this boat has been a pain in the ass. Changed starter and found that a bolt was broken off flush with block. Went to change the points and found mechanical advance was trash. Went to change impeller and found the hole pump was trash. ordered new pump (sierra) and the shear key was manufactured wrong and would not fit of course the old one was missing. I guess IM done venting my frustrations now. If anyone knows if there is a freeze plug behind the fly wheel on a GM 3.0L or if you have any other thoughts could you please let me know. Thanks MIKE

Old 05-24-05, 08:24 PM
Water Leak

You guessed it!

There is a frost plug at the rear of this engine - between the camshaft and the crankshaft. I just phoned that * auto wrecker that also sold me my boat and he claims that engine is one of the worst that GM ever made. Prone to cracked heads (another possibility).

He says that is a good place for one to rust out since it could never dry.

Old 05-25-05, 02:49 PM
Thanks so much. You just gave me some hope yet for this boat. Some times good deals aren't all there cracked up to be. Now to figure out how to get the engine out of the boat I don't think my engine hoist is going to cut it. But that's a miner set back. Thanks again. MIKE