Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

New to boats

Visiting Guest

05-22-05, 05:18 PM   #1  
RdBlok1
New to boats

I have two question, I just bought a late 60's Fiberform 16 foot with a 1985 65 horse outboard. Its have been setting for about 3 years, (1) what do I need to do first before I think of putting it on the water. (2) rains alot here in Oregon and how hard would like to put a bilge pump in.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

05-22-05, 05:21 PM   #2  
RdBlok1
I have two question, I just bought a late 60's Fiberform 16 foot with a 1985 65 horse outboard. Its have been setting for about 3 years, (1) what do I need to do first before I think of putting it on the water. (2) rains alot here in Oregon and how hard would like to put a bilge pump in.

Thank you

05-23-05, 08:27 AM   #3  
New boat

I started a motor yesterday that has been standing much longer.

I did a compression test first to ensure firing in the cylinders. Showed 90 in #1 (top) and 85 in lower. Fresh fuel in tank, mixed, well charged battery,
and I got a plastic barrel to run it in. Shocked my helper holding the compression tester, so I was content that it may be ok there.

Had to squeeze that primer bulb for a long time to flood the lines, fuel pump, and carb bowl.

It had an automatic choke, so I cranked for about 15 seconds at a time. It took about 3-5 minutes before it fired, but not running. Finally after 5- 10 minutes it ran roughly, I had running at idle for 10 minutes before it got well
lubricated (had bearing/piston noise) and got to a smooth idle. After that it started with a touch on the switch.

A bilge pump is east to install with an electric drill and a round hole cutting blade. Place the hole higher than the water line of course. I used a toggle switch and power directly from the battery ( not thru an accessory switch).
Instructions come in a kit, but not a perhaps a switch.

Visiting Guest

05-23-05, 09:32 AM   #4  
RdBlok1
thank you

Thanks for the info, I took the carbs off last night and they had dried out gas in the bowls and the fuel line were cracked so I replace them.

As for the bilge pump I would have to cut a hole in the deck first, and I just don't know were to cut. I don't what to cut any supports in the floor.

05-23-05, 10:01 AM   #5  
Bilge

The boat I installed one on had a open space right back against the transom underneath what I believe is called the motor 'well'.

This is the lowest point in the boat and all under floor channels run to it...and therefore the place to install. The manufacturer should have made a similar location..

Search this Thread