(outboard motor) lower unit removal

Old 06-05-05, 08:36 AM
catfisher
Visiting Guest
(outboard motor) lower unit removal

I have a 1995 johnson 25hp electric start mod#j25steeor and i cant get the lower off. I took the four bolts and back nut off when you pull down on the lower it just pulls into reverse.I need to replace my impeller.I have put them into other motors and they just came on off. any help will be very helpful
thank you

Old 06-05-05, 09:28 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: catfisher. Welcome to the Boating, Sailing, PWC, GPS, & Navigation topic.

The lower end casing should have a removable rubber cap about two thirds of the way up above the prop housing. Remove that flat rubber cap. Inside the housing should be the connecting link between the shifter and the gear box.

Note the postioning depths of the connection links between the shifters upper rod and the gearboxes lower rod. Mark the spot with a majic marker. Than loosen the holding screw(s) of the connecting links. The lower unit should than slide down. Minor prying may be needed but do not force (using any pry bars etc) the two sections apart.

P.S.
May be more than one flat plastic access cap on some lower end units.

The diy resident boat service & repair professionals will have additional helpful information, suggestions and advice. Check back on your question several times for additional replies.

Regards, Good Luck & Safe Boating.
Boating Enthusiast
Web Site Host, Forums Monitor & Multiple Topics Moderator.

Old 06-05-05, 11:22 AM
catfisher
Visiting Guest
problem solved!!!!

went out and checked for cap none but where the water inlet is you have to remove two covers,then loosen brass lock nut.the lower is held in place by a blck plastic keeper under the nut remove keeper and lower will come on off.thanks a million I was lost!!!!!! be fishing soon

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: