Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

98 Mercruiser 5.7L Thunderbolt 5 ignition

Visiting Guest

05-25-05, 11:38 AM   #1  
spearodiver
98 Mercruiser 5.7L Thunderbolt 5 ignition

Having trouble getting the engine to crank over. I ran the engine 3 weekends in a row getting ready for a trip; the night before the trip the engine would not start. I had the starter rebuilt because I did not hear it engage. Now I hear the starter clicking but the engine doesnít crank over. Iíve removed the plugs (all dry), I can turn the engine by hand so I know its not locked up, all fluids are clean, battery is only 6 months old and reads 12V, can the ignition module have anything to do with it? Iím not familiar with what this module does. Anyone have any suggestions?

Sponsored Links

05-25-05, 03:09 PM   #2  
I looked in my book and I don't where the ignition module has any thing to do with the starting circuit. There are two solenoids for the starter one on the starter and one slave solenoid. Something to look at. But the first thing I would try is charging the battery. Good luck. MIKE

Visiting Guest

05-25-05, 05:39 PM   #3  
spearodiver
Although i had a newer battery, I bought a new one and jumped started the old one with it and it worked. Switched out the old one with the new and it seems to be starting without a problem.
THANKS FOR THE HELP!

Search this Thread