Crack in water jacket

Old 05-29-05, 08:00 PM
WalleyeHunter
Visiting Guest
Crack in water jacket

I have a 1985 Evinrude 90 HP V-4 and I noticed some water leaking from the bottom of the Port head. I suspected a leaking head gasket so I went to replace it and after I got it off I spotted a small crack on the bottom of the block in the water jacket. The boat was running good but some water was getting into the bottom port cylinder. My question is what would be the best solution to fix a half inch crack in the water jacket? Weld? JB Weld? Others?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-05, 05:54 AM
I have the same problem, except mine is 8 inch on the exhaust manifold. I want to try ther JB weld but others have stated that it can't take the heat. I also have a friend of mine that used it on a cracked block and has used the boat for 2 years with no problem. I guess YMMV. I am going to try it if I can't find a good used one. Good Luck

Old 05-31-05, 08:27 PM
WalleyeHunter
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply...I talked to a boat mechanic today and he advised me to use the JB Weld instead of welding. He said that he has fixed a few in this manner and good results. Worst case was some miner dripping, most time it makes a good weld and lasts for years.

Search this Thread