replacing pontoon deck - PT plywood OK?

Old 06-01-05, 11:32 AM
replacing pontoon deck - PT plywood OK?

I got an old pontoon which I will be using as a dock ( 16 feet long) The deck is rotting ( already put foot through it) Took railings off ( most were damaged anyways) Thinking of using 1/2" PT with indoor/outdoor carpeting on it. I assume the old deck is just screwed on.

Or do I need this marine plywood stuff?. and what do I use to attach the carpeting?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-05, 07:52 PM
Are you looking for long term or just a few years. marine plywood would be the wise way to go but will cost more money. If your looking at long term you might want to consider AC plywood and painting both sides with fiberglass resin. This can be very costly but lasts a long time. As far as the carpet goes glue it down. I like 3M spray glue. Hope this helps. Good Luck. MIKE

Old 06-07-05, 10:04 AM
Thanks Mike,

I just ended up putting 1/2" PT on top of the old wood ( to provide some support where the panels meet) I also removed the old aluminum trim around the edges and just used wood on the sides. Then I put the carpeting down over the edges 6" on other side and screwed them on. I ended up using indoor/outdoor carpet tape, but will have to look for this 3-m spray you talked about. It sounds easyer to apply then the adhesive stuff.

I'll have to see how long it will last, since it is only a swimming platform. Now I noticed that there is water in one of the pontoons, and have to pump that out. The kids love it, no more sharp edges since the carpeting goes down and over the sides.

One job down, 2^20 more to go!

Chris

Old 06-08-05, 07:28 AM
Wink

Well to late now But next time .We use a 3/4" PT T/G plywood and put some cheap polyester in the seams.

Now I noticed that there is water in one of the pontoons,

You could put foam in them now and have them for years yet.

ED

Search this Thread