Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Johnson engines 1972 and 1971 outboards

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

04-19-00, 12:06 PM   #1  
I have the opportunity to purchase a 1972 Johnson 20 Horse outboard engine. The owne has the points and condencer because they need to be replace. He has the head off so that he could remove the fly wheel to reach the points and condenser. Is it really necessay to remove those items to replace the old parts. He is selling the unit as is for $100.00 How can I evaluate the engine to make sure it is functional. Is this $100.oo dollars worth the risk? Worst case what would it cost to rebuild the engine if it was trashed after all. I was thinking that even if it was cooked or ceased it may still be worth it if repairs are affordable. What is a rebuild engine like this worth? Also I purchase a 14 ft john boat. A trailer, and a 2 horsepower Johnson engine. It is almost identical as the one about just a lot smaller. I paid 300.00 for the whole outfit and the little enginse starts everytime. Since I am a refinisher I want to paint the lower unit and restore the cowling. Where can I get decals for this engine cowling. Was $300 a good purchase?

------------------
Gary Goel/Owner Newkote Kitchen & Bath Refinishing
We are just a shade better...
[email protected]

Sponsored Links
's Avatar
Visiting Guest

04-20-00, 08:22 PM   #2  
OK . NO YOU DONT HAVE TO PULL THE HEAD TO GET THE FLYWHEEL OFF CORRECTLY.
look in the cylinders for scoring, reassemble the engine and ck the compression
get back to me on the numbers. usually 105 to 115 psi is ok.
pricewise, depends on the area. good running condition probably 3-500$ for the big motor alone. If the comp os ok, tune it put in a water pump and run it. dont forget to properly torque the flywheel. its is very dangerous.
i think that was all... call back.scott

Search this Thread