prop won't turn

Old 04-22-00, 12:50 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have a 1967 Bayliner with a mercruser outdrive. the prop won,t turn. I've been told there is not a shear pin in this model. is this true? If it is, what else could it be?

Old 04-22-00, 09:32 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

True there is no shear pin. the prop has a spline shaft. If it dosen't turn when you shift it into gear when running then one of three things may have happened. most commonly
the propeller rubber hub has spun. try another prop. secondly the gears or shafts may be damaged, check the oil. there should be no metal particles in it and it should be full to the upper plug level.
lastly the rubber hub on the flywheel may have spun, you will know this because there will be no water flow from the engine. ck it and get back to me. scott

Old 04-25-00, 12:21 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I recently found out that this boat is a 1969 bayliner. If that makes any difference. I looked for the plugs to fill the oil in the out drive, damned if i could find one. ????????????. does a 69 fill from the top? There is a cap with 4, 12 point bolts there. The Rubber looks good elsewhere. I'M stumped again. Bill
quote:<HR>Originally posted by BoatMech:
True there is no shear pin. the prop has a spline shaft. If it dosen't turn when you shift it into gear when running then one of three things may have happened. most commonly
the propeller rubber hub has spun. try another prop. secondly the gears or shafts may be damaged, check the oil. there should be no metal particles in it and it should be full to the upper plug level.
lastly the rubber hub on the flywheel may have spun, you will know this because there will be no water flow from the engine. ck it and get back to me. scott
<HR>

Old 04-28-00, 08:31 PM
dont pull the cap off. on the side of the drive up there on top though is a drain plug.
slotted screwdriver will take it off. look for the other on the same side way down low.
scott

Old 04-29-00, 01:25 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi Scott, I found the oil plugs, but there was nothing but water in it. The prop turns both ways in or out of gear, though it is a little harder in gear. I was messin' around with it to see if the linkage is moving and found the left side to be moving about 1 1/2 inches but the right side wont move at all. Is it supposed to? Thanks Bill
dont pull the cap off. on the side of the drive up there on top though is a drain plug.
slotted screwdriver will take it off. look for the other on the same side way down low.
scott
<HR>

Old 04-30-00, 07:57 PM
Bill, what linkage is this.
you need to get that gearcase apart pretty quick before it starts to rust. Now that you have let the air in.. try filing it up with engine oil to preserve it till you are ready.

[This message has been edited by BoatMech (edited April 30, 2000).]

Old 05-02-00, 02:10 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Howdy, The linkage that I am talking about is at the back of the boat on the end of the cables. I don't know if the one on the right (if you are looking at the back of the boat) is supposed to move at all or not. It looks like it should because it has a switch that rides on a cam -like edge that I think engauges the power transfer to the outdrive. I did fill the gearbox up with oil but I think it is too late. I found a little rust on the bearing at the top of the outdrive, which I cleaned and greesed to minimize the rust for now. Hope I explained this enough. Bill...
Bill, what linkage is this.
you need to get that gearcase apart pretty quick before it starts to rust. Now that you have let the air in.. try filing it up with engine oil to preserve it till you are ready.

[This message has been edited by BoatMech (edited April 30, 2000).]
<HR>

Old 05-03-00, 08:41 PM
Ok the cables are for the drive shift. probably better you dont disconnect anything. just see how smoothly it shifts from the control. if its pretty smooth and
doesn't die when you shift. lets leave that part alone. remember to have the engine running when you shift, the clutch dogs dont line up if its not turning.
good job on the oil.
scott

Old 05-15-00, 03:40 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Hi Scott, I've been messing around with this thing again and found some really weird things that you maybe can help with. I got the prop to turn but only for a short time. Without some real time and money I'm stopped on that problem for now but I was running the engine and the oil filter started to shoot oil out (ALL OVER THE INSIDE OF MY BOAT) from the seal ring. I went and bought a new one but it did it again with the new one. I did a real good cleaning job on it before I installed it but it did it anyway. What could it be??? Bill
Ok the cables are for the drive shift. probably better you dont disconnect anything. just see how smoothly it shifts from the control. if its pretty smooth and
doesn't die when you shift. lets leave that part alone. remember to have the engine running when you shift, the clutch dogs dont line up if its not turning.
good job on the oil.
scott
<HR>

Old 05-17-00, 07:04 PM
sorry, my server was down,
But im back.
Sounds like you have the old seal ring stuck on the block.
make sure the only seal ring installed is the one on the filter and the block is clean.
Having two will cause the oil to spurt out like you stated.
scott

Old 05-18-00, 04:33 PM
Visiting Guest
Arrow

Hey Scott, I did replace the filter and checked for the old seal ring it butts against a flat area. I don't understand what's going on here??????
sorry, my server was down,
But im back.
Sounds like you have the old seal ring stuck on the block.
make sure the only seal ring installed is the one on the filter and the block is clean.
Having two will cause the oil to spurt out like you stated.
scott
<HR>

Old 05-21-00, 07:24 PM
On the 4 cyl the oil press sender is right there next to the oil filter, It may be leaking and look like the filter. ck it out.
scott

Old 05-22-00, 08:33 AM
Visiting Guest
Bill

Here's my two cents for what it's worth

Outdrive: As soon as you mentioned you couldn't find an oil drain on your drive, I knew what the problem would be. Loss of gearcase oil in Mercruiser Outdrives is one of their big killers, and there are many ways that outdrive can loose it's oil as a fuction of it's design and it's operating environment. You need to check the oil constantly, and change it often. I can almost assure you that if you check your upper case, you will discover that your two main gears (the drive and driven gear)are totally destroyed. I check the oil on my outdrive almost every time I take it out. Were you out on the water when the drive failed? If you lose oil, the gears will burn up on you while you're underway, and it feels like you've popped out of gear or spun a prop. The source of the problem: A seal failure. One of the classic seal failures is monofilament line around your prop shaft. It tears the shaft seal to pieces in minutes, and your gears shortly thereafter. Look for fishing line behind your prop.

Oil filter Leak: Are you sure you've got the right filter? Many filters are the same size and will screw right on, but have different seal diameters. If you buy the wrong one and it fits, oil will go all over the place. You didn't mention whether the leak started immediately after the first filter was put on or the leak developed after a period of time.

Good luck with it Bill. Membership dues in the boat club are never cheap. Good thing it's such a great club.

Dave

Old 05-22-00, 08:13 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking

Hi Dave, Thanks for the input. I bought the boat from a guy that said that it ran great the last time he took it out (2 years ago) Either he is less than honest or it quit working on its own. (I think the first is more accurate.)The first time I tried to take it out it wouldn't turn. As for the oil filter I bought the same one that was on it. Not saying that it was right to start with. The seal is about 1/4" wide. The surface looks to be about 1/2". It could be the wrong one. It only seems to squirt out when I accelerate the motor to a decent r.p.m.. It will idle o.k. and runs good then it will pop out. Could it be that the oil pressure is rising to an extreme pressure and causing it to do this? Boy am I lost or what???? I've run out of cash to fix this thing right now but even the wife wants this thing to run! Thats rare in it's self, so I will be fixing it this season you can bet on it. The leak started at the oil filter this time only after I raised the r.p.m.'s. Last year I didn't get a chance to run it so I don't know if it did it before on the other guy. AS for the drive I'm afraid to tear this thing apart until I get a book on it at least. I did however look at the prop bushing and it looks o.k. but it still could be blown as I was messing with it last weekend I didn't see any water pumping out when i was running it. But my wife said that she saw the prop turn when I was a high r.p.m. so Maybe the gears are torn up. It is a great service that guys like you and Steve are providing. thanks for the input. Bill
quote:<HR>Originally posted by DEKSEA:
Bill

Here's my two cents for what it's worth

Outdrive: As soon as you mentioned you couldn't find an oil drain on your drive, I knew what the problem would be. Loss of gearcase oil in Mercruiser Outdrives is one of their big killers, and there are many ways that outdrive can loose it's oil as a fuction of it's design and it's operating environment. You need to check the oil constantly, and change it often. I can almost assure you that if you check your upper case, you will discover that your two main gears (the drive and driven gear)are totally destroyed. I check the oil on my outdrive almost every time I take it out. Were you out on the water when the drive failed? If you lose oil, the gears will burn up on you while you're underway, and it feels like you've popped out of gear or spun a prop. The source of the problem: A seal failure. One of the classic seal failures is monofilament line around your prop shaft. It tears the shaft seal to pieces in minutes, and your gears shortly thereafter. Look for fishing line behind your prop.

Oil filter Leak: Are you sure you've got the right filter? Many filters are the same size and will screw right on, but have different seal diameters. If you buy the wrong one and it fits, oil will go all over the place. You didn't mention whether the leak started immediately after the first filter was put on or the leak developed after a period of time.

Good luck with it Bill. Membership dues in the boat club are never cheap. Good thing it's such a great club.

Dave
<HR>

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: