Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1986 Merc. stalls at low speed

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

06-21-00, 09:24 PM   #1  
I can't troll, and it's p----ing me off. At slow speeds it stalls constantly, and it often stalls when shifting into forward (if I leave it at low RPMs.) Idles great in neutral, runs great at anything above an idle, and easily starts after it stalls. I have heard of this problem with Mercs before, but never heard of a fix. Help Please.

Sponsored Links
's Avatar
Visiting Guest

07-01-00, 11:55 AM   #2  
Ok we need the model to get specific
but the carbs are probably in need of some servicing. If its starts on the first crank
after stalling its probably just a little lean. where are you running, altitude?
when was the last service?
need the hp and model.. thanks

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

07-01-00, 11:06 PM   #3  
Thanks BOATMECH. I appreciate your response. Motor is 1986 35 HP. I don't believe altitude is a factor. I'm in middle Tennessee (Nashville), and I think the altitude is 490 ft. above MSL. I just purchased the boat in the spring. It is used, and I don't know when it was last serviced. I suspect it is running lean, but am a little nervous about playing with the mixture. I haven't even looked to see where the adjustment is. THANKS AGAIN

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

07-05-00, 08:45 PM   #4  
There should be a little knob on the carb just above the venturi. give it a quarter turn counter clockwise. and then reasseble it and run it like usual. let me know if it helps.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

07-05-00, 09:12 PM   #5  
Thanks BoatMech:
I'm planning to go out tomorrow, so I'll try it. Sounds easy enough. I'll let you know what I find.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

07-10-00, 12:06 AM   #6  
Well I tried, maybe with a little success. I could tell no difference with a quarter turn. I turned the screw in all the way, then backed out 1 and a half turns. From there I turned it in until it started to run rough, then backed it out until it started to run rough. Then set it half way between. Itwas very difficult to tell anything when I backed the screw out, so I'm not sure. It does run better. How slow do I need to turn the screw? I think I might have been a little fast.

THANKS AGAIN

Marshall

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

07-10-00, 05:27 PM   #7  
Hey you did good!!
Thats the trick and it has to go kinda fast or it will stall.
each direction until it gurgles or coughs
and then back to the middle.
good work.
scott

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

07-10-00, 11:24 PM   #8  
Thanks Scott. I was out again today and it did okay. I really appreciate your help. The service offered by this site is excellent. Thanks Again.

Marshall

Search this Thread