Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

on reply to transom repair. info you needed to get me started

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

09-21-00, 12:04 PM   #1  
the motor is a 1979 Johnson 140. outboard. Unfortunately the crack in the transom goes all the way through gelcoat because the wood in the transom is rotted to the core. was wanting to give it a go myself before spending $1200-1500

Sponsored Links
's Avatar
Visiting Guest

09-22-00, 07:26 PM   #2  
An outboard transom supports a lot of weight
and the boat when underway so you have to get this right the first time.
It will be necessary to remove the engine and make a template of the existing holes prior to any work on the wood or glass.
Next cut the edges of the transom on the inside one inch from the sides of the hull.
This will leave you with a thickness measurement and a lip to secure to later.
strip off the layer of fiberglass from the inside and dig out all the rotted wood.
If you have done it right you are now left with a transom consisting of only the exterior coat of glass and gel coat.
measure out the transom area and make a template. laminate layers of plywood with
epoxy resin to the correct thickness.
Then cut it in half so you can slide it into the opening and lip you left. resin it into place. fill the voids with everglass.
rough it up and cover it with heavy mat.
Next layer is roving that will extend past the old corners for strength. be sure you grind down through the old resin top coat so it will stick. drill the engine mount holes and slap the old outboard back on.!!
It wouldnt hurt to add some knees if you have the room to support your work.
got all that??
good. scott

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

09-25-00, 06:43 PM   #3  
Hi .. I'm sure that now you see the amount of work involved you will have a professional handle this one.
There are many tools and skills involved that require a special touch to get it done
correctly and in a timely manner.
scott

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

10-19-00, 08:39 PM   #4  
This is a dirty messy job. Polyester resin is nasty to work with and sanding glass is hard on electrical tools (and lungs). There is an excellant book titled "Runabout Renevation" by Jim Anderson that goes into a lot of detail yet written for the layman. I think I got a copy from M & E Marine; they have a website and the book only costs around $10 - a great investment.

When I did a 15' 73 Galaxy I ended up tearing out the floor and transom, then took it to a boat manufacturer about 75 miles away. They were ticked pink they didn't have to tear all that old crud out. Took it to them in the dead of winter so they were slow anyway. They poured 1/2" resin on a 3/4" floor with sprayed glass strands AND a new transom for $600. I think it worked out well for everybody.

Search this Thread