Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

sunk boat (is it shot?)

06-11-05, 11:26 AM   #1  
sunk boat (is it shot?)

looking for a small runabout, and was just offered to look at a 1987 Chaparral 19' open bow. Has a 305ci motor, but.... was hit with some BIG lake waves last year, and the owner couldn't get to it for about 4 hrs, so it was in the drink about up to 4' for that time. My question is.. Is this thing shot now? He swears he hasn't tried to crank it over, as he knows it would damage it further. It hasn't been touched since last summer when it went under, i'm also afraid of our NY winter cracking parts because of the water i'm sure is in there. The interior is dirty, but still pretty good, as he took it out late that day, any ideas out there about the motor? I'd hate to let this slip if there's hope for the motor

Sponsored Links

06-11-05, 05:11 PM   #2  
Sunk 305 ci

I am sure it is NOT useable.

It should have been drained, dried and refilled with oil and restarted ASAP.

Interior will be ruined with rust. However, a 305ci is a very common engine and you can likely get good prices on rebuilt or good used ones.

You may still have a good deal, if you can do the work yourself.

06-12-05, 07:15 AM   #3  
i was thinking the same about letting it sit and rust like that, it's a shame, i hear they're great boats too. thanks for the reply

MO

06-13-05, 04:37 PM   #4  
Hey if the price is right go for it.

ED

06-19-05, 03:46 PM   #5  
All The Knowledge Here, And No Other Suggestions!???!

OH

06-19-05, 04:21 PM   #6  
Unless the guy is practically giving it away (you know he collected his insurance), I would walk. Unless you just have a passion and a burning desire to resurrect this lady, I'd walk.

A good general rule of thumb in boat restoration is to figure on half the purchase price of a new boat. Just for example, if a new boat cost $100,000 one should be able to purchase a used model and fix or refurbish the problems that show up and still come in around $50,000. Most folks do not have the time or money to properly restore a boat. If you have a passion for a boat, shop around unless, like I say, the guy is giving it away and you have lots of time and money. And, I'd hazard a guess that refurbishing a sunk boat will exceed the rule of thumb.

Mold & mildew issues will be major behind panels, under floor covering, inside upholstery. The electronics are likely shot as well as the engine.

I never owned a boat, although I've been on some mighty fine ones. My definition of a boat is: a hole in the water into which one throws money. Please don't think I am trying to discourage you. My concern is that you not make a bad investment.

Super Moderator

CANADA

06-19-05, 04:21 PM   #7  
pfeff825,

You should have expected the answers you have recieved.
I'm sure that there are a few here that are qualified to undertake the project you hope to do.

Your question, "Is this thing shot now", is really not a question anyone can answer for you.
In reality nothing is ever really "shot".
The correct way to phrase what I think you are asking is; "Does it make economic sense to repair this boat".

How much does he want for this thing and what would you expect to pay for one in good operating condition?

My sense is that you should plan on having to replace the engine and any parts near the cooling system and also make a large mark-down for your trouble.
There will also be the likelyhood that you will be replacing most of the electrical devices as well.

GregH.........HVAC/R Tech

06-19-05, 05:13 PM   #8  
There we go, finally! Thanks for the suggestions, yes, he is practically giving it(he wants about 8hrs of electrical work in trade), but i am hesitant about breaking into that motor and finding that it's history. The interior actually is in good shape. Thanks guys.

06-19-05, 07:07 PM   #9  
87 Chapparal i/o

Free, in this case barter, is a very good price.

I would take the boat in that trade. A trailer is a must and could be part of the deal?

I just offered someone C$1500 for a 16' 1982 Starcraft open bow - and only for the hull and trailer, stripped of motor and controls and steering. He has accepted. The boat is VERY run down, but I will take it home and rebuild the interior, and get a new convertible top, putting (expensive) power on in later years.

I already have a small boat for fishing near to my home. So a liesurely hobby like this is something I look forward to.

As is well commented above, boats are holes for money, so any such endeavor is probably long term.

OH

06-19-05, 07:16 PM   #10  
All I can say is if you feel you got a good deal and the time and money to deal with this defect, then go go for it. If there tends to be many other social organizations that demand involvement like Rotary, then little demand of financial support as long as you provide energy and physical support is not an issue.

06-20-05, 12:51 AM   #11  
I don't know if it would be practical to rebuild a motor that has had water sitting in it for a year. Can't really say until it is disassembled. If the motor was running when she went under, it probably has big problems in addition to rust. If the engine was running and water is sucked into the cylinders, the water does not compress and things tend to bend and break.

06-20-05, 08:25 AM   #12  
Boat Salvage

I agree with PhilH with regard to the motor.

I was told years ago by a mechanical guru that in these circumstances the bearing and cylinder surfaces are destroyed by rust and are not worth the machine costs to recover.

I had asked him this question because of Kenworth trucks being retrieved from Lake Athabasca which fell thru a winter ice road. Someone had told me the engines were ok - in fact they were not, and were in worse condition because they sank (rapidly) with engines running, as described by Phil.

I am not sure of the state of the heads of this 305ci engine - if they are special heads for marine use they perhaps should be removed dissassembled and saved for a replacement shortblock? - discarding the rusted shortblock

Visiting Guest

06-22-05, 04:53 PM   #13  
Kfraser
You never know. I had a friend that would let us use his Bayliner that he kept on a lake lot in Livingston TX years ago. He never took care of the boat and left it in the water beached. Each time we would go up the boat would be half sunk. We would stop on the way, pick up a new starter and 6 quarts of oil. We'd drain the oil put on the new starter and spend the day skiing. Three weeks later we would repeat the process. You never know....

Search this Thread