? on adding a 2nd battery, 1987 mercruiser v6

Old 06-12-05, 01:25 PM
sasngang
Visiting Guest
Question ? on adding a 2nd battery, 1987 mercruiser v6

I purchased a 120amp battery isolator from Sure Industries and a new deep cell battery to install into my 87 SeaRay to isolate the stereo circuit from the rest of my boats electrical.

I had assumed the alternator charging circuit when directly to the primary battery, but it does not. And aside from ripping apart my wiring harness (which I don't want to do), I am looking for some guidance.

It appears that the primary charge wire coming from the alternator is going toward the V-6 starter starter (but I cant see to be certain). I wonder the existing wire simply connects in common to the main hi-amp + cable feeding the starter? If so, I could just run a new wire from the alternator to the isolator and then out to the 2 battery banks. (that would be very simple).

Any guidance would be appreciated.

OR a link to a wiring diagram for that circuit.

Thanks in advance, Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-05, 09:50 AM
I don't have the knowledge to help you but I know who does. Try the message boards on http://www.boatingabc.com/ and either post there or look for postings by Vista Al - he seems to be a real guru on boat electrical systems. BTW, I have an 84 Sea Ray and love it