Merc 50, no spark on 1 & 2

Old 06-19-05, 06:24 AM
jefa
Visiting Guest
Merc 50, no spark on 1 & 2

Help!..Have a 1986? 50hp 4cly mercury ser. #a131197. Lost spark on cyl 1 & 2. I suspect switchbox and I was wondering if there is a way to verify by switching wires. Mine has green/white and blue to switchbox (but not red/white and red. the lugs are on switchbox but the wires never were).The stator has four wires, not six like I see in all the diagrams. Two yellows to rectifier and grn/wht & wht/grn to a small sealed module. From there, grn/wht & blue to swtichbox. Is it safe to switch the grn/wt and blue to see if the problem moves?
Is anyone familiar with this setup?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-05, 07:32 PM
The wiring you are describing is not for a 4 cyl. 1986 motor. They are for a motor in the 90's. Could you verify the engine serial # again. How many wires go to each coil/cdm?

Old 06-21-05, 06:57 AM
jefa
Visiting Guest
^Thanks for the reply, I appreciate your help. Ser# is good a131197. flywheel marked Jan 8 1985. Could this be an aftermarket stator?. The wiring looks original as the red/wht & red lugs appear to have never been used. Had this motor about 6 years, ran great untill this spring. Link to photo below, hope it works...
]photo[/URL]

Old 06-21-05, 06:59 AM
jefa
Visiting Guest
Trying that link again...
]photo[/URL]

Old 06-21-05, 07:02 AM
jefa
Visiting Guest