Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

shifting outboard motor

Visiting Guest

06-19-05, 07:42 PM   #1  
sneff
shifting outboard motor

I have a boat with a 80 horse outboard mercury. The boat and motor are from the late 70s. Despite the boat's age I have had zero problems with the motor over the last 17 years. When the boat was put away for the winter the shift lever was in the forward position. When the boat was taken out of storage this weekend, I could barily get the shifter into the neutral position and could not pull it back into reverse. Also, when I tried to start the motor the propeller would turn. Any ideas? Thanks

Sponsored Links

06-20-05, 02:44 PM   #2  
Do you have tilt and trim on the motor?

Visiting Guest

06-20-05, 07:55 PM   #3  
sneff
Unfortunately, my boat does not have power tilt or trim.

Visiting Guest

06-27-05, 06:23 AM   #4  
txtaz
Take off the cowling, and remove the shift linkage from the power head. Try moving the shift lever by hand, then try the remote. This will tell you were it is. My guess would be the cable. Not to hard to replace. Besides, It's probably time to. I would do the throttle cable at the same time.
Wes

06-27-05, 04:18 PM   #5  
You might also want to check the reverse lock . It is a rod that comes from the lower unit that has two hooks on it. It is suppose to lock the motor to the tilt pin when the motor is shifted into neutral or reverse. Sometimes they corrode and stick.

Visiting Guest

07-03-05, 09:49 PM   #6  
mchar
liberal wd-40 might work - not fast, but cheap and effective. I was taught recently to use it to do ALL MANNER OF CHORES - and before I haul out I pop all the points on my trailer W/ THE WD-40, the crank, blah blah blah. I hit under the cowling on the corrosion around the motor, don't just watch it get bad...... chains, locks, plus the usual greasings. When leaving the boat, I alway turn my motor to port so my steering cable is covered, not exposed, (not all boats are the same) and use the grease recommended in the owner's manual. The manual costs $74 and saves a ton. Ken Cook Co., Ill.
Mark

Search this Thread