About getting a old chrysler engine

Old 06-28-05, 07:02 AM
About getting a old chrysler engine

I just got a free 1978 or so chrysler runabout boat. I'm not sure on the name of the boat, but I do know it needs a new or rebuilt engine. It has a 4 cyl. inboard small block. I'm not sure the size or liter it was. The engine is half a part. The block had a crack in it so thats why I know I need a new or rebuilt one to put in it. I haven't had any look on finding one but I also don't know a lot about where to go look for a engine. I live in Nashville, TN and I have called a couple of places but they didn't have any and didn't know who would. One person told me that chrysler didn't do a lot with boats and most of the time he had to put in another kind of engine and adjust things so it would all work right (linkages, etc...). I am hoping someone might be able to tell me where I could find a chrysler engine where I can pick it up with a reasonable distance away from Nashville, or they would ship it to me. Or if anyone knows what other engines might fit? Any help would be great. I'm just looking for something so I can take it out on the water. I'm not looking for some high performance engine just something under $1000. Thank you for your time and help.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-05, 10:13 AM
Unknown engine

A Chrsler auto dealership should be able to identify the engine from the serial number on the block.

I found the local auto wreckers recognize all of these engines on sight. Just call a couple, and take it in for their appraisal.

Since it is 1978 I would suspect an engine of Japanese origin since the automaker was selling Dodge Colt and Omni/Charger series of vehicles.The Japanese engines were considered quite good. The VW gas engine was also used in the Omni, not as good.