1974 85hp Johnson power lift

Old 06-30-05, 08:25 PM
tatersngravy
Visiting Guest
1974 85hp Johnson power lift

I bought a 1974 16' Starcraft deep V with said motor. Previous owner thought battery was dead and pulled main pin for power lift, not paying attention to how the parts were arranged. I waited for owner to fix it but grew tired and offered to purchase the boat for a reduced price, the owner agreed and I believe I have all parts in correct position but the cylinder that is powered hydraulically will not come down and I've put in a new battery. I haven't tried replacing the switch yet but any "points in the right direction" would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-05, 12:59 AM
I can't remember being around a power tilt quite that old. But there may be a catch that is flipped into place to keep the motor up during storage or trailering. Look around the transom bracket for something that can flip out of the way to lower the motor. You may have to raise the motor a little ways to take the weight off of it.

Old 07-01-05, 06:17 AM
txtaz
Visiting Guest
Phil is correct they do have a trailer brace. Does your tilt motor make any sound when you try to run it?
Wes

Old 07-03-05, 09:23 PM
mchar
Visiting Guest
use your tilt / trim switch on the throttle to raise the motor a tad. Stop. Go back and flip the traileing support (I can get you a picture.) It braces the motor when trailering. Go back to the helm and push the down button. It should now go down in the water. Start the engine. Check the pee hole. Please don't come anywhere near me. After haul-out , you must raise the motor fully, stop, flip the trailering bar to lock, lower the motor until contact w/ the trailering bar, ( NOTE: I DON'T DO THIS, BUT THE MANUAL SAYS TO EXTRACT THOSE RAMS AND GET 'EM BACK ALL THE WAY. TRAILER THE MOTOR OFF THE TRAILERING BAR, not the rams). I'm too paranoid.
Turn off Batteries, pull the plug, lower the anntenae and get those fishing rods out of the rocket launchers, net on the deck or secured, don't drive anywhere near me. Good luck.
Mark
P.S. I am not kidding.

Old 08-25-05, 07:26 AM
tricks
Visiting Guest
Trailering Bar on 74 85HP Johnson?

I ran into this thread while doing a search for the color codes for my 74' 85HP Johnson, first anyone know were I can find these colors? Now about the towing bar, I saw a bar that props mine up but my manual says that is for working on the engine only and to never tow with the engine supported that way , is there another brace that I don't see for supporting the engine when towing? Right now, my tilt is not working so I use a small piece of 2X4, thanks for any info on this....

Old 08-26-05, 10:01 PM
sounds like it has air in it.if you are looking at motor from behind,on the ridht side of the mount there is a little flat head screw turn it some,it does not come out,you should here air and then some fluid comes out.screw back in and raise the motor,then do it again.i have a 90hp and i go to Evinrudes/johnsons web site.they have the parts book on line for all the motors.here is a link.Evinrude/Johnson parts book