Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

how to change oil in 6 hp Johnson OB (2stroke)

Visiting Guest

07-16-05, 11:17 AM   #1  
gregmmurphy
how to change oil in 6 hp Johnson OB (2stroke)

I know this is a silly question, but how do I check and change the oil on a lil' Johnson 6 hp outboard (sailmaster). It's about mid to late 1980's...

I must admit this question confuses the hell out of me and simultaneously embarrasses the hell out of me. I gave it a top end job, rebuilt the carb, but can't find the damn oil.

I know there's a drain plug in the lower section, but I'm not willing to drain anything without having more to add, and knowing where to do it!!!!

Thanks all!

Sponsored Links

07-16-05, 01:23 PM   #2  
There is a lower and upper screw that have to be removed to allow the gearlube to be drained. The lower one is near the skeg and the upper is by the cavitation plate. Refill with a good grade gearlube and fill from the bottom till the oil comes out the top screw hole. You can purchase a small pump from most marine stores, this is the easiest way, or you can buy the squeeze tubes which is a little messy. Your gearcase should hold about 11 oz.

MO

07-16-05, 01:30 PM   #3  
It also pays to check the bottom plug ever now and then Take it out and see if there is any water in the lower unit. also after you fill it and oil comes out the top put the top plug in first to hold the oil in while you put the bottom plug in

ED

Visiting Guest

07-16-05, 02:45 PM   #4  
gregmmurphy
I understand the lower unit...but engine oil?

Okay, I get how to check the gear oil, but what about the engine oil? Is there another pan for holding engine oil, or is it only getting the lube from the fuel/oil mixture?

07-16-05, 03:45 PM   #5  
Oil

Internals of 2 cycle motors are lubed by the fuel/oil mixture.

Search this Thread