Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Minor damage to fiberglass boat

Visiting Guest

07-18-05, 06:33 AM   #1  
GADawgs
Minor damage to fiberglass boat

I know this is my first post but I need help!!

My friend let me borrow his boat for the weekend and I, like an idiot, coasted in too fast on a pontoon boat and bumped the side of the boat causing a minor (about 3"-4") crack in the boat (won't ever do that again). The crack is located above the metal crease in the fiberglass hull and top part of the boat. As you can tell I don't know much about boats. It is a fiberglass bayliner boat. Can anyone tell me how minor/major this damage is? Can it be patched on your own? It is way above the waterline and does not appear to be getting any water in the hull even when turning the boat. It is not just a scratch to the outside of the boat but I can actually see that it cracked all the way through the fiberglass. Is there a filler or maybe some kind of hundred-mile-per-hour fiberglass tape that can be used to fix this?

Thanks

Last edited by GADawgs; 07-18-05 at 07:04 AM.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-21-05, 04:23 AM   #2  
TamPC
You can poke around with a screwdriver or something to see if wood has been affected and whether any rot has set in. Here's some stuff at West Marine (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...roductId=72273)that will restore it. Then apply the Marine-Tex as above.

Even if you do have some wet wood in there & don't want to take the time now to deal with it you can patch the glass now and fix the rest later.

Search this Thread