Outboard motor won't lift up for transport. How do I get it to stay up?

Old 07-23-05, 07:09 PM
erelanel
Visiting Guest
Question Outboard motor won't lift up for transport. How do I get it to stay up?

Hello everyone! I am new to boating...a friend gave me a boat, a 1968 Thunderbird cathedral hull with a Evinrude 140 outboard. We got it on the trailer yesterday and today I went to bring it home. Unfortunately, the engine was left down and the rudder is hitting the ground when I try to drive it. we hooked a battery up to the boat and tried to get the thing to move, but it didn't do anything. Is there a way to get it to the transporting position manually? I didn't see any pins holding it down, but I did see the shocks for it. I might be able to get the nuts off of them, but I don't know if that will work. I even tried to take off the rudder, but I could'nt get all the nuts off of it. HELP!! I don't know what I am doing, but I am learning, and am very interested in getting started in this boating thing. Thanks in advance.
Eric

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-05, 12:11 AM
I've never been around a 140 that is that old. But, one thing you might look for is a valve to bypass the hydraullics. Look for a funny shaped slotted screw head on the side of the transom bracket (the bracket that bolts the motor to the boat). If it is there, you can unscrew it a ways; this opens the valve. Then lift the motor manually (it'll be heavy!!).

This is only a guess. I haven't been around boats for 10 years.

Old 07-24-05, 08:02 PM
What year motor? If the TNT is located between the clamp brackets then there is a manual release valve, probably on the stbd bracket.

Old 07-24-05, 08:50 PM
erelanel
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Thanks for the input guys! I will look and see tomorrow...

Old 07-25-05, 07:04 PM
erelanel
Visiting Guest
Hey, I checked with the local boat shop today about raising that engine, and they said what Phil H said and was able to show me on an engine where it was. The slotted screw was stuck, going back tomorrow with some spray and tools, and there was a pin that we took out also that holds the engine in different positions. God willing, we will get this boat home!

Thanks Phil,

Eric

Old 07-26-05, 11:55 PM
jfq
Visiting Guest
You may want to double check the bolts you took out trying to take the "rudder" off. It sounds like you were trying to pull the lower unit off.

Old 07-27-05, 08:56 PM
erelanel
Visiting Guest
got it home

praise the Lord, I got the boat home. we were able to hook the motor up to a battery and the engine went right up with the push of a button. the other day when I did that, I didn't have those particular wires hooked to the battery...ROOKIE! Anyway, I am glad it's home. Now I get to explore the joys of gel coating and outboard engines

Thanks for the input folks!

Old 07-31-05, 02:24 AM
61holden
Visiting Guest
Check the pump on the tilt unit,A lot of the old

ones had manual release screws,turn to release and lift by hand?(or shoulder)Cheers CD