Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

'74 Evinrude 25hp runs but wont wind out

Visiting Guest

08-04-05, 08:39 AM   #1  
WTC
'74 Evinrude 25hp runs but wont wind out

My 25 hp Evinrude runs about 1/2 to 3/4 speed unless I restrict the fuel line by slightly pinching it off, then it runs like a dream. I recently rebuilt the carb (new float, float valve, low speed needle bearing, all the seals and gaskets from the OMC carb kit). Is the problem in the float level or something else?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

08-22-05, 08:25 AM   #2  
gwarr
It sounds like it is running too rich. First check the float level, then check if the float valve needle and seat. As the engin speed increases a higher pressure would be on the fuel system and any by pass will go into the carb makeing it run rich. the other thing it could be would be that the high speed mixture is set too rich. good luck.

Visiting Guest

08-22-05, 09:42 AM   #3  
WTC
Thanks for the tips. I recently rebuilt the carb. During the rebuild, a new float valve needle was installed and I seated it with a light blow of a hammer. The high speed orifice is non adjustable (fixed) in the bowl. I wonder if the float level is set correctly. I just installed a new float but did not have a gauge to set it.

thanks

08-22-05, 10:32 AM   #4  
Ouch...

Setting with a hammer.... ouch! Carbs are a bit too delicate for that -- If you didn't hurt that part - then I would certainly look at the float level.... it's letting too much gas into the cylinders.... reset it.

Visiting Guest

08-22-05, 11:06 AM   #5  
WTC
The instructions in the repair manual explained how to "seat" the float valve with a hammer and a light hit. This is to slightly deform the angle on the valve plunger to seal on the orifice face. At least that is how it was explained.

Thanks

Search this Thread