Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Fiberglass repair help needed

Visiting Guest

08-06-05, 09:02 AM   #1  
Jetjohn
Fiberglass repair help needed

I recently purchased an old glass fishing boat, and it is taking on water. I filled the hull with water while on the trailer, and found the leak is coming from previous object impact damage a the bottom of the arc made from the bow to the area where the bottom flattens out. I presume from hitting logs or rocks. Anyway, the leak is apparently about the diameter of a ball point pen. I was thinking I could lay up glass epoxy and glass tape for about 18 inches to fully cover the area leaking. If this will work, how many layers would be recommended. I assume I should first sand the area to insure a good bond. Any step by step hints would be greatly appreciated. I've never done this type of repair before.
Thanks,
John H.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

08-06-05, 02:55 PM   #2  
jeffstevens
I would grind the dammaged area about half way through and then perform the repair with a fibreglass repair kit, then I would move to the inside repeating the same procedure, gel coat the repair. Also apply a keel shield which will help with protecting against any further dammage.

Search this Thread