Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ugh, Evnrude

Visiting Guest

08-07-05, 06:38 PM   #1  
Myaxmatosis
Ugh, Evnrude

Alright, my Dad and I have this Evinrude that's 50 Horsepower and it's on a 1975 Ranger boat, anywho.. The motor dosen't perform for notthing, it does about 10-15mph, IF that. It should be hualin at about 30.. The motor has been worked on, and worked on and notthing can be figured out. I think it's getting too much air, and not enough gas. Cuase we've gone 3 or 4 trips on a 5 gallon tank. I figure it'd atleast have to be refilled after 2 trips. I'm not sure of the year of the motor, I know it's pretty old. I don't know, last trip we had which was a freaking DISASTER for lack of a better word. Not as far as boating, but the trip there.. Lost the trailer, anyway, back ontopic. Anyone have any experience with Evinrudes? It's old, and was submerged under 12ft of water for several days when we sank our old 14ft John boat about 2 years ago.. Me and my Dad are at a complete loss.. I could probably get a motor number, or something of idetification better tomorrow.. if needed.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

08-09-05, 12:53 AM   #2  
61holden
Two or 3 cylinder ?

I have a 50hp evnrd powerhead married up to a johnson body, not fast, but economical!!What pitch/size prop are you running on it?

08-09-05, 05:45 PM   #3  
Do you have a model#? Does the motor sound like it is reving up?

Visiting Guest

08-24-05, 03:06 AM   #4  
needy
I've been there and back this spring/summer with a 1973 50 HP Evinrude. Try this first. New spark plugs no matter what yours look like,their age Even if recently replaced. I know this sounds elementary but plugs can be partially fouled in one start-up if too much choke is used. After installing correct (consult outboard manual or call factory authorized Evinrude mechanic) new plugs start motor with minimum choke. If that doesn't do it,have someone pump fuel bulb as you run motor to full speed. If that makes it perform better you may have the following obscure problem... Older model motors have fuel pump mounted on airbox instead of mounting directly to crankcase. If that is the case, check hose that runs to fitting on crankcase. Disconnect both ends of hose to make sure it is clear and unobstructed by blowing from one end, then the other end as well. If hose is good,(it will probably have a winding of wire inside hose to prevent kink or collapse) check inside of crankcase fitting for obstruction. Fitting should be free and clear. I used appropiate size drill bit between finger and thumb to "drill" out gunk. VIOLA! It worked for me. Good luck. needy

Visiting Guest

08-24-05, 03:13 AM   #5  
needy
OOPS.. I should have indicated that "hose" runs from fuel pump to crankcase fitting. Hope you get relief... needy

Search this Thread