OMC 3.0L, Prop Seal Question and Diagnosis Help

Old 08-08-05, 01:22 PM
Rozarkie
Visiting Guest
OMC 3.0L, Prop Seal Question and Diagnosis Help

Howdy Y'all,
I bought an 89 Hurricane with a 3.0L OMC Cobra Stern drive, in December of 2004. Haven't had it out on the water much and, frankly, I'm tired of having to paddle the durn thing back to the launch. Last time I had it out it was very sluggish and was having trouble getting up on plane. I turned the boat off and checked for water in the engine compartment thinking maybe it was weight related. No water, no "wrong" smells. I didn't want to get too far from the launch so I turned it around and headed back that way. After restart it seemed different, better, it was getting up to speed and then I got a big KACHUNK and nothing.
When I tried to start the boat the starter would engage and try to turn the engine but it seemed locked up. During the starting attempts the entire lower unit would swing to the right when the starter engaged the motor. I got it back to the launch and back on the trailer and then back home. (After blowing a tire three miles into a 50 mile trip. When it rains it pours.)
I removed the cover over the impeller area and removed the impeller which appeared in not good shape but still in one piece. I had to work to get it out of the hole. I replaced the impeller and everything turns over and starts.
My question...Would a stuck impeller be able to "lock" the motor as I have described? I am afraid/concerned I have another problem..
Also...I noticed that I did have milky fluid in the lower unit and in an effort to stop the leak I purchased some new drain/fill plugs as well as the prop shaft seals.
My question...How are the seals replaced? Do I need to get a gear puller and remove the carrier to swap them out? I have a Clymer manual but it is not real clear.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-05, 09:18 PM
prop seals

Look at the same query posed by 'colton' on 7/11/2005 (PAGE 2 OF THESE POSTS) - a 1990 40hp outboard was involved.

The 'lockup' you mentioned may have been due to overheating. THE impeller
replacement would correct that - if no permanent seizure occurred..

I rebuilt my car engine and had the thing begin to seize when driving in the spring at near thaw conditions with a winter front blocking the radiator.

Since the oil pump (oil supply) was not involved no damage occurred - as I understand this situation the seizing likely occurred above the top ring where temperatures are highest. (SORT OF JAMS THERE, you always see score marks on pistons at this point)

I realized the problem when the car began to slow so I shut it of and removed the winter front. No repeat of the event occurred - also NO hot light came on! Your engine may be OK too. I have added 95000mi since the event when the engine only had about 5000 mi.

Since yours cranks easily now - I would change oil if needed, test the hot light system and carry on.

I think I will buy a new impeller for mine this week!!

Last edited by oldJoe; 08-08-05 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-08-05, 09:39 PM
jeffstevens
Visiting Guest
I know the OMC stern drives had a problem with shift cables, check it out. It would be hard to start in gear kicking the leg over.

Old 08-09-05, 07:37 AM
Rozarkie
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by oldJoe
Look at the same query posed by 'colton' on 7/11/2005 (PAGE 2 OF THESE POSTS) - a 1990 40hp outboard was involved.
The 'lockup' you mentioned may have been due to overheating. THE impeller
replacement would correct that - if no permanent seizure occurred..

Thanks for the reply. I read the other post and I would like to pull the carrier does it just pop out with the gear puller? Can I use "J" hooks to get it out or do I need to get something else in there.

Do I need to unbolt the carrier from something? It looks like if I unbolt the plate on the back the needle bearings will come out.

If it just pops out how do you get it back in?

Thanks again for the help. My wife wanted a boat, (I'm more of a motorcycle person myself,) and I'm still learning.

Old 08-09-05, 07:40 AM
Rozarkie
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by jeffstevens
I know the OMC stern drives had a problem with shift cables, check it out. It would be hard to start in gear kicking the leg over.
Thanks for the post. I checked into that when it first occurred and concluded that it was indeed in neutral. I have read the "stuart" page and I am going to do that adjustment next. I believe the throttle cable is older and ready for a change.
thanks again...

Old 08-09-05, 09:43 AM
Lower Unit seals

Cannot help with your lower unit - do not have that type and manual.

Perhaps send a private message to 'papasmurf' if he provided the method on the other engine.

Also try this site - a lot of tech info given here

http://www.marineengine.com/cgi-bin/....cgi?pg=topics

Last edited by oldJoe; 08-09-05 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Add link
Old 08-10-05, 06:49 AM
Rozarkie
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by oldJoe
Cannot help with your lower unit - do not have that type and manual.

Perhaps send a private message to 'papasmurf' if he provided the method on the other engine.

Also try this site - a lot of tech info given here

http://www.marineengine.com/cgi-bin/....cgi?pg=topics
Thanks for the help.
I have the clymer manual for this stern drive but it isn't much help. I will look it over again. I will also try to ping papasmurf. Thanks for the link I will search around on that site also.