Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Starter mysteries

Visiting Guest

08-21-05, 01:44 AM   #1  
mfio
Starter mysteries

undefined
Strange sequence of starter troubles with my 1992 MerCruiser 5.0 LX/V8:
1. No problems before August, except having had to operate the starter for up to a minute before ignition took place
2. Without previous warnings or malfunctions, one morning the starter gear will not engage the flywheel enough to turn the engine. All that happens is a very loud and nasty sound of metal teeth grinding hard
3. I got a new, original Quicksilver starter with the right spare number as specified on MerCruisers web for my particular engine number from an authorized dealer who claimed that he was sure that it was the right one.
4. It was bigger that the previous starter - but according to MerCruisers website there are two suitable starters for my particular engine no., with 8" and 12" houses respectably. Both have the same spare part no., strange!
5. When mounting the larger starter, we had to use the two old bolts from the smaller one, as the bolts supplied with the new starter were too large for the holes in the engine block.
6. First test thereafter: First few times/seconds the starter gear did not engage properly. But suddenly it did, and turned the engine fine. We couldn't
however get the motor going and decided to come back the next morning to adjust the ignition.
7. Having done that, and in the mood for a nice sailing trip - finally - we turned the key. Big surprise & disappointment: Immediately the original problem reoccurred: Insufficient gear engament, gritting teeth, no turning of flywheel/engine.
8. Inspected the flywheel teeth and they look rusty, but intact - though there are quite a few metal scraps below in the bilge (probably from the front end of the two starter gears that both look chipped.
9. New mechanic claims that my old and new starters that both have 11 teeth gears are wrong and that we need an 9 teeth one.
10. I wonder, though, because how can the starter engage smoothly and quietly all summer if the no. of teeth in the gear was wrong? And I would be very grateful for good advice - asap, please, as autumn and end of season is approaching fast here in cold Scandinavia.
Kind regards - mfio

Sponsored Links

10-07-05, 02:51 PM   #2  
What's the serial number of your engine?

Search this Thread