Bayliner Starter problems; anyone else out there?

Old 08-21-05, 07:01 PM
danw
Visiting Guest
Bayliner Starter problems; anyone else out there?

I've owned my 95 Capri 1950 (Mercruiser Alpha 1) just since last summer, and twice the starter mounting bolts have sheared off!!

Has anyone else experienced this? I believe the bolts were the originals (the shorter of the two broke off last year, then the long one this year....hindsite says I should have replaced the long when when I had it all apart, but you know how that goes). Now I've got to tap the broken piece out AGAIN, which in and of itself is a pain in the ass.

Anyone else? Thanks for listening.

Last edited by danw; 10-17-05 at 02:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-05, 02:36 PM
Sounds like the starter needs shimming.

Old 10-13-05, 06:43 PM
It could be possible that your motor is hydrolocking.Thats when water gets into the cylinders and when you try to star the motor the water cannot be compressed so something has to give.Many times what happened to you is the result.

Old 10-17-05, 02:32 PM
danw
Visiting Guest
I thank you both for your replies. I'm going to leave it as it is for now (new starter) and see what happens. I have a gut feeling that it was the loose bolt originally (the previous owner trailered it for thousand mile trips before I bought it) shaved off, then the other was weakened from holding the starter on by itself for so long, if I had R&R'd it along with the other, I'm certain I wouldn't have had that problem the 2nd go round. If it happens again, I'll be back

Old 10-17-05, 08:08 PM
Good luck.You are probably right about it.Just in case if it happens again check to see about the hydrolocking.All you will have to do is take out your spark plugs.next crank over the engine (briefly).Watch to see if water comes out of the spark plug holes.If it does than come back and we will figure it all out for ya!

Old 09-07-08, 02:18 PM
Dan, can you help me...?

Originally Posted by danw View Post
I've owned my 95 Capri 1950 (Mercruiser Alpha 1) just since last summer, and twice the starter mounting bolts have sheared off!!

Has anyone else experienced this? I believe the bolts were the originals (the shorter of the two broke off last year, then the long one this year....hindsite says I should have replaced the long when when I had it all apart, but you know how that goes). Now I've got to tap the broken piece out AGAIN, which in and of itself is a pain in the ass.

Anyone else? Thanks for listening.
I noticed that you tapped out the old bolt. How did you get in the compartment to do this or did you pull the engine? My starter just blew the long bolt trying to start on the lake on Monday, Labor day.
Thanks,
Mat

Old 09-07-08, 03:47 PM
What engine is in your boat 4cyl v6 or v8? Alot of times you can get them out with a reverse drill bit and a 90 degree drill. I have had to pull the engine a couple times as well but it's worth a try. Once the pressure or the starter is off the bolt the threads will come out easy. The bolts shouldn't break unless something went wrong most likely hydrolocked. If it's a mercruiser there should be flapper valves in the exhaust that may have been burnt if the engine was overheated.

Old 09-09-08, 05:15 PM
It's a 3.0 (GM 2.5L) Mercruiser 4 cyl. It was running fine up to when we stopped to change tubers. I went to start, and it sounded like it ground itself on flywheel teeth. I tried again to only have it snap the long bolt which left about a 1/2 inch in the block and the rest fell out. The starter is out and is dry, as was the bilge. The starter was making a grinding sound itermit up to that point. I have had someone tell me the starter bolt may not have been "shimmed" properly. It was replaced this past May.

M

Old 09-09-08, 05:49 PM
I'm by no means a expert so I am kind of hoping someone else will help "us" on this but I have replaced about 100 or more starters in IO's and have never shimed one but someone with more expierience may say different. At this point has it been started? If not I would remove all the spark plugs and check for water. In my expierance the most common reason for a broken starter bolt is water ingestion. One way to ingest water is when you are slowing down and shut the engine off the boat slows and a wave comes and hits the back of the boat and water flows up the exhaust and past the open valves hydrolocking the motor. mercruiser uses rubber flappers to prevent this but they can fail, overheating at one time can make them fail and you might not know it for years later. good luck and let us know what you find.

Old 09-16-08, 07:16 PM
I found NO water in the cylinders and I think the bolt may not have been completely tightened causing the starter to just miss the flywheel and getting "looser" over time and eventually snapping the long starter bolt closest to the block. I will attempt to use a bolt extractor and "git 'er done!" Any helps or ideas before completely sending it to the shop?

Old 09-17-08, 03:27 AM
Another factor that could be at fault is engine heat. If you were pulling the tube at, say, 2k rpm, the engine was working very hard to plow the boat through the water and pull the tube. As long as water is moving through the engine it's okay. But when you shut it off to change tubers the heat in the block equalized, causing expansion. It wasn't off long enough to cool, so the next time you hit the key it put a massive amount of torque on the starter motor. If you've noticed in the past that the engine seemed to be very slow-turning when starting after a short stop, then fires up quickly, it's a heat issue.

This is farily common and usually doesn't cause any problems. Add in a loose bolt, though, and it's not hard to see how it could snap.

It's not fun to work in close quarters, but it can be done. I borrowed my wife's handheld mirror to help me see what I was doing when I replaced my starter a couple of seasons back. Had to buy her a new one.

Old 09-24-08, 09:00 PM
same boat

i have also had this problem on a 3.0 with a new starter and new bolts. I ended up using the old style starter with the rear bracket. I was told by a merc tech there is problems with the new style and the old style were not known for broken starter bolts

Old 10-15-08, 08:55 AM
I had this problem on a Volvo Penta 3.0 and I purchased a Starter Support Bracket (mounts on front of starter and bracket bolts to the block (bolt hole already exists) from Express Marine. This solved the problem. This type of starter needs to be supported or the torque will end up shearing the mounting bolts

Old 10-18-08, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by charger440 View Post
I had this problem on a Volvo Penta 3.0 and I purchased a Starter Support Bracket (mounts on front of starter and bracket bolts to the block (bolt hole already exists) from Express Marine. This solved the problem. This type of starter needs to be supported or the torque will end up shearing the mounting bolts
Any problem with trying grade 8 bolts?