Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Does GPS ever go out of service

CANADA

09-01-05, 11:49 AM   #1  
Does GPS ever go out of service

I would doubt it but on Tuesday morning when I went out fishing there were NO satellites. I left it on and after about 1 hr they all came up and everything worked fine. It has been working fine since.
Does anyone think I might have a problem with my unit. Everything else on the unit(Garmin GPS76) was working fine.

Sponsored Links

09-02-05, 06:27 AM   #2  
Never heard of "lack of satellites" being a problem. The design is such that there are always a few overhead. The only time I've ever had a problem acquiring a signal was when trudging through the woods on the way to a duck blind and the trees overhead blocked the signals.....

I would guess something "glitched" in your unit.... but if it's working now.... keep pathfinding till it dies.

Obviously I'm not an aerospace engineer (rocket scientist)... so this goes with a grain of salt..

CANADA

09-02-05, 10:18 AM   #3  
It was a very cloudy but non rainy day before Katrina came though on the eastern end of lake Erie.
I thought it was very strange also. NO satellites. Unit just at there "acquiring Satellites".

Super Moderator

CANADA

09-02-05, 10:43 AM   #4  
Long story

joed,

It could be possible the satellites were turned off but I doubt it.
I've owned a Garmin 76CS for three months or so and it hasn't skipped a beat. In fact I just got my $50.00 US rebate in the mail yesterday.

If you don't know the history of GPS signal accuracyI will offer my rendition:

When the US military was begging for funding to have the GPS system installed, it was done as a dual system.
The military had an encoded system that only their receivers could use and a totally seperate civlian system was established.
This civillian system was enabled with selective availibility. Selective availability was an intentional error that made it difficult for groups with evil motives to use the signals for guidance purposes.
I had a GPS unit during those days and the accuracy some days was within a hundred feet or so and other days it was only within hundreds of feet.
You could stay in one spot and your position would change constantly.

In 2000 the US government decided that the benefits of civillian use of GPS was a good thing and removed selective availability.
Since then they have enabled the WAAS system that most newer recivers have that can be accurate to 10 feet.

So, as far as I know with the civillian uses that are now being made of GPS, especially in air navigation, it is highly unlikely they would turn it off.
I haven't checked lately because I've been away from flying for awhile but GPS is either going to be or will be approved as a sole means of instrument flying. (Got to check up on this later.)

(Anyone, feel free to expand or correct.)

GregH.........HVAC/R Tech

09-03-05, 06:27 PM   #5  
Heavy clouds will interfere with satellite signals, especially very "wet" ones... such as Katrina brought with her. This much I know from firsthand experience - every time we get a monster t-storm I lose satellite signal on my TV set.. Whether or not GPS can be affected??? Your guess is as good as mine.

The system doesn't get turned off.... to many things rely on GPS today, from bulldozer excavation to airline navigation..........

CANADA

09-05-05, 04:25 PM   #6  
Posted By: thezster The system doesn't get turned off.... to many things rely on GPS today, from bulldozer excavation to airline navigation..........
That is what I thought but you never know. I doubt it was the clouds as they weren't that heavy and I doubt they would block ALL the satellites. Must have been a glitch with my unit. It has been OK since that day.

Search this Thread