marine engines

Old 10-11-05, 09:45 AM
marine engines

How do you tell if your marine engine is a seawater (raw-water) cooled model or a closed cooling (coolant) model. What should I look for and where should i look. Thanks alot

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-05, 12:24 PM
Inboard, inboard-outboard???? Small boat, large boat (it makes a difference, larger boats designed for salt water use are more prone to a closed system.

If you have a closed system, there will be a heat exchange system somewhere in the engine compartment, relatively large. If it is an open system (most are) - you will find a hose directly from the water pickup to the engine. On an inboard, it's easy to find, locate the water strainer on the bottom of the hull and follow the thru-hull connection and connecting hoses to see where they go. On an inboard/outboard, it's a bit more difficult (just a little bit) determining which hose from the transom bellows is the cooling water hose.

If that hose, from either system, goes directly into the engine after the water pump,(exhaust manifolds for pre-heating, or thermostat housing for non-preheating).... it's an open system. If that hose goes into a heat exchanger - it's closed. Follow the hoses.... it's pretty much common sense once you start tracing them.

Forums Monitors Notes:
Member Banned for prior rule and policy violations in other forum topics. None in this reply post.
Priors:
10/15/05 Member being suspended for 7 days due to information contained in post that violates code. Incorrect or uninformed information in answers to members cannot be tolerated.

10-12-2005- Policy Violation Warning - advising member on a low I Beam when no permit was obtained - bad information to member.

10-07-2005 - Member redirecting to another Forum Web Site - Sent member a PM - Forum Policy Warning.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 10-16-05 at 07:07 AM.