Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Stiff shifting in reverse

Visiting Guest

10-12-05, 12:16 PM   #1  
henryban
Stiff shifting in reverse

Stiff shifting in reverse.

I had a hard shifting problem.

I made sure before I started that the shifting mechanism right down to the bell crank moved smoothly.

I just finished work on a corroded shift rod housing, the area at the two “o” rings.

Before I reassembled the lower unit the shift rod worked easily by hand.

After assembling the lower unit and test running the motor “with muffs”, the shifter worked “just fine”.

I took the boat out yesterday (18’ cc w/ 1998 130 hp Johnson). Forward shifting was smooth. Reverse shifting was "very stiff".

Any thoughts why?

I haven’t done any troubleshooting yet.

Sponsored Links

10-12-05, 05:14 PM   #2  
Did you replace the oring in the shift housing, or did you just try cleaning the corrosion?

Visiting Guest

10-13-05, 04:42 AM   #3  
henryban
Oh, yes - but the gremlins got me

I've got that dummy feeling.

New housing, new "o" rings. Everything was working perfect till I put the boat in the water.

I was stumped.

Thanks for the comeback.

It was that "hose to nowhere" that dangles around in back of the powerhead. Somehow I managed to get it stuck in the shift cables.

It had to happen just at that time. What'd I do to deserve that?

10-13-05, 05:12 AM   #4  
That hose is called an aspirator. It will remove any water that would collect in the pan. Glad everything works fine now. Stranger things have happened to me after working on outboards for over 30 years.

Search this Thread