Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Problems with engine lock-up...heeelp!

Visiting Guest

10-20-05, 05:13 PM   #1  
ihydesigns
Problems with engine lock-up...heeelp!

I'm running a 115 HP Evinrude Outboard Motor. the model number is E115TLCSA and im pretty sure that means that it is a 1980 motor (according to online documents). Anyway, the the boat has been sitting for about 2 years without being used. The starter has been shot for some time so, last time it was started, the previous owner was manually starting it with a rope. When i received the boat, i followed all of the manual starting instructions but was unable to get the engine to start, or even get the main gear that is used for manually starting it to move. I dont know much about boats, but my assumption is that the engine is locked-up due to inactivity.
Does anyone know what the problem could be or anything i could do to potentially fix it? Heelp me please!

Sponsored Links

10-20-05, 07:39 PM   #2  
well to start you need to pull the plugs and spray wd-40 or a light wait oit in the plug holes.this will losen things up,you may have to let it sit to soak in and then you should be able to turn it.i dont get to use my 90hp like i want to but in the winter that is what i do so it will not lock up or rust or stick rings.

10-26-05, 02:41 PM   #3  
Make sure the motor is in neutral when trying to rope start it. Otherwise, you're trying to turn the transmission/prop assembly, which can give the impression the engine is "locked up" as it's very difficult to turn by hand.

Visiting Guest

10-27-05, 03:06 PM   #4  
ihydesigns
Posted By: thezster Make sure the motor is in neutral when trying to rope start it. Otherwise, you're trying to turn the transmission/prop assembly, which can give the impression the engine is "locked up" as it's very difficult to turn by hand.
Yeah, im starting to think the problem is actually with the transmission. I do have the boat in Neutral according to the shift levers but no matter what i do it wont seam to unlock. I've oiled it up 4 times and let it sit overnight now, and still not even the slightest bit of turnage. When i have my freind shift the gears i look at the engine and it almost appears that only the throttle is adjusting...Do you know of any way that i can confirm, undeniably that the boat is or isnt in neutral?

10-28-05, 10:33 AM   #5  
Turn the prop by hand. If it turns easily, it's in neutral. If it won't turn more than a tiny bit.... it's in gear.

If you're in true neutral - remove the spark plugs and try to turn the engine over. Removing the plugs eliminates compression....... and your engine should turn over easily. If not... you've quite possibly got a major problem.

Search this Thread