winterize new Honda 2hp 4stroke

Old 11-27-05, 12:56 PM
Kris
Visiting Guest
Cool winterize new Honda 2hp 4stroke

I have a new Honda 2hp 4stroke motor for our sailboat. I'm not an engine person, I'm a sail person. What should I do to winterize the engine, we only used it 3 times, as we got it at the end of the season? The owners manual doesn't really explain, only service stuff. I don't think I need to go to that extent, it was only used 3 times so far. We live in the northeast, & it's stored in our garage on a bracket. Thanks for your help.

Old 11-27-05, 04:26 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Basic Engine Storage Help.

Hello Kris. Welcome to the Boats, Sailing, Pwc's & Navaigations topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Be sure the salt water is flushed out, if the engine was used in salt water.

Soap wash the entire engine and rinse clean, to ensure there is not salt water left on any parts, including prop, if ever used in salt water.

Change gear lube and engine oil. Clean engine well.

Should not be any cooling system. Engine should be air cooled, last I remember but check this out to be sure.

Do not cover engine with any material that does not breath, I.E. plastic, etc. Tarp or canvas should be okay. Intent is not to trap moisture inside any cover used. Rusting will occur.

Remove spark plug and add about 1/2 once of motor oil into cyclinder. Crank engine to stir oil on cyclinder walls and piston rings. Reinstall plug.

Should be all that is needed.

The diy resident boat service & repair professionals will have additional helpful information, suggestions and advice. Check back on your question several times for additional replies.

Kindly use the reply button to add any additional information or questions, etc. to this thread. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the daily list automatically.

Regards, Good Luck & Safe Boating.
Sharp Advice. Boating Enthusiast. Web Sites Host, Forums Monitor, Moderator Hiring Agent & Multiple Topics Moderator.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: