Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Winterizing my I/O

Visiting Guest

10-25-05, 05:24 AM   #1  
tomlally
Winterizing my I/O

I store my 18' SeaRay in a heated warehouse for the winter. The temperature does not go below 50 degrees. Do I still need to have my boat winterized?

Sponsored Links

10-25-05, 03:09 PM   #2  
If you're sure of the temp consistency, I would say no - with a few exceptions. I would add a gas stabilizer to the fuel system and run the engine for 10 - 15 minutes to allow the stabilizer to run through the carb and fuel lines. After this, I would fog the carb thoroughly to coat the cylinder walls with lubricant (I use WD-40 sprayed into the carb). I would also take this time to change the oil and transmission fluid. Winter is also a good time to replace your water impeller (which I do yearly, need it or not).

Basic draining of the block is simple and takes only a few minutes.... Why chance it?

There is an excellent thread at the top of this forum for winterizing boats and engines. Study it well - the basic maintenance items should be done regardless of freezing weather.

Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

11-08-05, 04:13 AM   #3  
Hello: Tom Lally

The link below should help:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=146226

Regards, Good Luck & Safe Boating.
Sharp Advice. Boating Enthusiast. Web Sites Host, Forums Monitor, Moderator Hiring Agent & Multiple Topics Moderator.

Search this Thread