Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

3.0L Merc valve adjustment

MO

11-03-05, 09:28 AM   #1  
3.0L Merc valve adjustment

I just became a first time boat owner with the purchase of a 2001 Maxum, 18 foot bowrider. I wanted to become familiar with maintenance and winterizing procedures so I checked out a manual, published by Clymer, from the library.

My question concerns the procedure for valve adjustment. The manual says to get the #1 cylinder to TDC of the compression stroke and adjust the following five valves: 1i, 2i, 1e, 3e, 4i. Then rotate the crank 360 degrees so that #4 is at TDC and adjust the remaining three 2e,3i, and 4e. Now, I have several years experience in auto maintenance and I have adjusted many a hydraulic valve. I have always adjusted half the valves with #1 at TDC rotated the crank 360 and then adjusted the other half. Is this Mercruiser engine so different from it's automotive counterpart that it has a special adjustment procedure? Or did Clymer skip the proof-reading step? After all, they continuosly referred to the PCV valve as the PVC valve!

I emailed them with a question about this and they never replied. Then I remembered DoItYourself.com and how I had gotten much helpful info on automotive issues. I was glad to see they had a boating forum. Thanks in advance for any help. I will definitely be asking for more help in the future.

Handyman

Sponsored Links

MO

11-15-05, 09:07 AM   #2  
Must be a tough one!

Wow! That question has been up for 12 days and seems to have stumped everyone. Let me try this one. All of Mercruiser's sterndrives are based on GM engines. The 4.3, 5.0, 5.7, etc. It's pretty obvious where they all came from. My next question is--where did the 3.0L four banger come from? I'm thinking it is a stroked version of the old 2.5L "Iron Duke" like I had in an '87 Oldsmobile. What do you think?

Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

11-20-05, 05:08 AM   #3  
Hello: Handyman1950. Welcome to the Boating, Sailing, PWC, GPS, & Navigation topic.

Sorry your question has not yet been replied to. Moderators and members are all volunteers whom donate their time to help others. Therefore, assurance to obtain answers and replies is not assured.

Boat engines and car engines are not alike. Look the same but operate in totally different operational environments. Which means the specifications are not the same as a car or truck engine. Similar but not exactly the same.

Best advice is to obtain the OEM service manual for that specific engine. Generic service manuals have there purposes but never can be 100 percent accurate for any specific engine. Reason why they are termed generic.

Regards, Good Luck & Safe Boating.
Sharp Advice. Boating Enthusiast. Web Sites Host, Forums Monitor, Moderator Hiring Agent & Multiple Topics Moderator.

Search this Thread