Covering the floor of a fiberglass boat?

Old 01-14-06, 09:26 PM
Covering the floor of a fiberglass boat?

I;ve owned several aluminum boats but never a fiberglass. I had one given to me and the floor in it is really soft. Can I take 3/4 marine grade plywood and put over the floor of this boat and seal it and paint it and have a safe usable fiberglass boat?

Thanks
Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-06, 12:49 PM
Replace Floor in boat

Jim, everyone has their own opinion on this, but In my opnion its not the way to go. Your just covering up a problem, not fixing it. What are the the detials on your boat (size, make, model, year, I/O or outboard).

If the floor is soft, then the whole structure of the boat is in question. You should really tear out the rotten wood to see how bad it is. If the transom and stringers are also bad, you need to fix all of that. May not be worth the time or expense.

Old 01-19-06, 02:39 AM
Thanks Rwilson
I talked to a guy that does fiberglass boat repaire and he said about the same thing as you. Told me to tear out the floor and check the stringers and foam in it. Said they would more than likely have to be replaced. I havent picked the boat up yet so I may just forgett that it was given to me.

Search this Thread