how complicated is it Water pumps?

Old 01-17-06, 07:25 AM
how complicated is it Water pumps?

I have a 2004 mercury xr-6 outboard. Would like to know just how complicated it is to change the water pump/impeler myself. I have done many mechanical thiings in the past but not much on outboards. Can I get step by step instructions online without buying servivce manuals?????????
Thanks for any help and links to those instructions.

Derek

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-06, 07:21 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Derek

Not too difficult a task for the person with the right tools and one whom is handy with them and mechanically inclined. But special precautions have to be used. Like taking note exactly how the current impeller is installed and how the pin holds the impeller to the shaft etc. A service manual would be a huge plus also.

Some info is available to the right in the related ads which rotate each visit to the topic. Asking at the local boat repair shop may also be helpful or having a boating buddy whom has done this before, etc. Installing the impeller pump must be done correctly the first time. Any errors made during installation can become very costly for the damages that will result if water to cool the engine and lube the parts is not present almost immediately.

Cautionary Note:
NOT buying the service manual will be or can be far more costly than not having one.
Best investment in the engine you will ever make, IMO.

The diy resident boat service & repair professionals may have additional helpful information, suggestions and advice. Check back on your question several times for additional replies.

Kindly use the reply button to add any additional information or questions, etc. to this thread. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the daily list automatically.

Regards, Good Luck & Safe Boating.
Sharp Advice. Boating Enthusiast. Web Sites Host, Forums Monitor, Moderator Hiring Agent & Multiple Topics Moderator.

Search this Thread