cross-country boat shipping?

Old 01-28-06, 02:30 PM
cross-country boat shipping?

I've been looking at purchasing a boat on the on the East Coast and having it shipped cross-country. I live in Washington State and am wondering if there are less expensive ways to get a boat up here than the $4000 I was quoted by a couple of shipping co's. I'm looking for a 20' walk-around Grady White and not finding much in this area of the country. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-06, 08:00 PM
Don't know what type of "shipping company" you've gotten quotes from. $4000 sounds a little bit high - though not way, way excessive. I've moved boats around the country numerous times via household goods movers such as Graebel/United Van Lines/etc..... It isn't cheap (my employer paid to move them)! Personally - I'd never buy a boat anywhere and then pay 20%+ of it's value just to move it.... (I'm assuming you're talking used boats as I'm sure Grady White has dealerships on the West Coast).

Boston Whaler is a good alternative to Grady Whites.... not as heavy and, in my opinion, more seaworthy.

If you're determined to buy on the East Coast... you would do better to drive there, pick it up, and tow it back....

Old 01-31-06, 04:04 PM
I can't imagine why you would buy and ship from that far. Surely there are lots of GWs available in California if not in your area? GW is a great boat, as is a Whaler. Both high end but worth it.